All aboard the Polar Express! This Polar Express Hot Chocolate is rich, creamy, chocolatey, and festive. Put on a Christmas movie, curl up on the couch and sip on this decadent treat. It takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Table of Contents
About this Cocoa
Mmmmm. It’s like drinking from a holiday chocolate fountain. This Polar Express Hot Chocolate is everything a warm Christmas drink should entail.
If you’ve seen The Polar Express, you know its a story of a little boy learning to believe in the power of Christmas magic. One sip of this Polar Express Hot Chocolate and you too will not be able to deny the magical spirit in the air.
This recipe is made with a mix of milk and cream for a rich, smooth texture with dark cocoa and melted chocolate too for an indulgent treat. Polar Express Hot Chocolate really does blow any store bought hot cocoa mix out of the park.
- Vanilla Almond Milk & Heavy Cream - I’ve found this hot chocolate recipe is best with half almond milk and half heavy cream. It creates the perfect creaminess. You can substitute the heavy cream for coconut milk to keep it dairy free.
- Special Dark Cocoa Powder - Hershey’s specialty dark, or another high quality cocoa is best. This’ll give it a true hot chocolate flavor as compared to just warm chocolate milk.
- Espresso Powder - Optional, but espresso powder exaggerates the chocolate flavor. Also, add it to your brownies! You won’t regret it.
- Dark Chocolate Ghirardelli Melting Wafers - Dark chocolate is my recommendation here to make our hot cocoa nice and rich.
- Mini Marshmallows - Because all good hot chocolate is topped with marshmallows. The dehydrated ones linked are like the baby ones in the Swiss Miss packets.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Heat a sauce pan to medium heat. Pour in almond milk, heavy cream, and maple syrup.
2. Once hot, add in the cocoa powder and espresso powder and whisk until it’s all dissolved. Then, add in a pinch of salt, vanilla extract, and chocolate melting wafers. Continue to whisk as the chocolate needs to melt.
3. Keep whisking until the mixture is hot and boiling. It should be a luscious, silky chocolate texture. Then remove from heat.
4. Divide between 2-4 mugs and garnish with mini marshmallows, bits of crushed candy canes, and melted chocolate drizzle. Enjoy!
If you have extra, store in a mason jar. It can be reheated in the microwave or stove top.
If you have a large group to serve, double or triple the recipe and keep warm in a crockpot for hours.
Yes! Just substitute the heavy cream with full fat coconut milk and ensure your melting chocolate is dairy free.
I used marshmallows, chocolate syrup, and a candy cane. But follow your heart with what sounds best. Other options include:
- Whipped cream
- Festive sprinkles
- Crushed candy canes
- Pirouette cookies
- Dark or white chocolate shavings
- A piece of peppermint bark balanced on top
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Polar Express Hot Chocolate
- sauce pan
- measuring cups / spoons
- serving mug
- 1 ½ cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, Hershey's Specialty Dark
- ½ tsp espresso powder, optional
- ¼ cup dark chocolate melting wafers, Ghirardelli
- pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp mini marshmallows
- crushed peppermint sticks and melted chocolate, for garnish
- Heat a sauce pan to medium heat. Pour in almond milk, heavy cream, and maple syrup.
- Once hot, add in the cocoa powder and espresso powder and whisk until it’s all dissolved.
- Then, add in a pinch of salt, vanilla extract, and chocolate melting wafers. Continue to whisk as the chocolate needs to melt.
- Keep whisking until the mixture is hot and boiling. It should be a luscious, silky chocolate texture.
- Divide between 2-4 mugs and garnish with mini marshmallows, bits of crushed candy canes, and melted chocolate drizzle. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find POLAR EXPRESS HOT CHOCOLATE calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!