Indulge in a warm, comforting slice of freshly baked Cinnamon Donut Bread. This recipe creates delightful and tender, sugar-kissed dough and fragrant cinnamon swirls that's perfect for a cozy morning treat or a sweet afternoon snack.
Table of Contents
About this Cinnamon Donut Bread
I know I’m not the only one that has a wave of nostalgia when I think about warm cinnamon sugar donuts. This time of year, that’s usually coming from the cider mill, but that same delightful taste can come from a lovely Cinnamon Swirl Donut Bread, too.
This quick loaf is full of fall flavor with apple cider and apple sauce in the batter. With a cinnamon sugar coating sprinkled onto the top of the bread batter that gets baked into the bread, it’s simply irresistible.
Looking for more quick bread easy recipes? Try this Blueberry Banana Bread or this Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake. Or if you want more cinnamon fall baking ideas, try this Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake or these Cinnamon Rolls with Apple Pie Filling, too
- Spiced Apple Cider - We will reduce this over the stove top to get a delicious concentrated flavor (can use regular, too).
- Unsalted Butter - Makes our bread super rich.
- Light Brown Sugar - Brown Sugar in the bread keeps it moist.
- Apple Sauce - Also keeps our bread moist while highlighting the cider mill flavors.
- Corn starch - Helps with rise and creates the most perfect bread texture.
- Granulated Sugar - White sugar is best for the topping mixed with cinnamon to give a classic apple cider donuts feel.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Spices: Give this a more holiday feel with additional warming spices like nutmeg, ginger, cloves or allspice along side the cinnamon.
- Mix-ins: Use what you love! I think chopped walnuts, chopped apples, chocolate chips, or coconut flakes mixed in would be delicious if any of those sound good to you.
- If you choose to add any mix-ins (nuts, chocolate chips, chopped apples, dried fruit, etc.) be sure to not add too many as this will weigh down the loaf and prevent it from rising properly.
- Note this recipe wasn’t tested without a stand mixer. If you’re opting to use an electric hand mixer, be sure that the butter is at room temperature for at least 24 hours+ to ensure smooth beating.
How to Make Apple Cider Donut Bread
1. Start by heating a small sauce pan to medium heat. Heat the apple cider, stirring constantly, until it’s reduced to a ½ a cup (8-10 minutes), then remove from heat.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F, then in a stand mixer (or large bowl), combine room temperature butter and brown sugar until smooth.
3. Add in eggs and vanilla extra and beat again. Pour in the applesauce and greek yogurt, beating again until all of the wet ingredients are smooth.
4. Add in all of the dry ingredients. Beat until well combined.
5. Lastly, pour in the cooled, reduced apple cider. Mix until batter is consistent throughout.
6. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Add all of the batter to the prepared loaf pan.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 38-45 minutes or until bread has risen and toothpick comes out clean.
7. In a separate smaller bowl, combine the toppings ingredients to make the granulated sugar-cinnamon mix. When the bread comes out, sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top and slice. Enjoy!
- I’ve tested this loaf a few times now and I’ve found it works best if you allow the cider to cool back to room temperature before incorporating into the bread. If the cider is too warm, the bread won’t be as flavorful. The cider should evaporate to ~½ cup of liquid and thicken as it cools.
- I haven’t tested this bread without a stand mixer. It’s imperative that the butter and sugar are completely incorporated before adding any other ingredients.
- For gluten-free, use 1:1 gluten free all purpose flour and tapioca flour in lieu of cornstarch.
Store your bread covered at room temperature for 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. This is the ideal sweet bread to make on a Sunday and enjoy the sweet treat throughout the week.
Yes! You can freeze your loaf for up to three months. Wrap your cooled bread tightly in plastic wrap and set in a tupperware or ziplock bag to ensure minimal air reaches the bread. You can freeze the whole loaf or individual slices.
Yes! This homemade bread recipe can be turned into Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins by pouring a small amount of batter into a greased or lined 12-muffin muffin tin then bake at 375° for about 15 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick to ensure doneness.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Cinnamon Donut Bread
- stand mixer or bowl and hand mixer
- sauce pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- rubber spatuala
- 9x5 Loaf Pan
- parchment paper
- 1 cup spiced apple cider, ~½ c simmered & reduced
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup applesauce, sweetened for a sweeter bread
- ½ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Start by heating a small sauce pan to medium heat. Heat the apple cider, stirring constantly, until it’s reduced to a ½ a cup (8-10 minutes), then remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, then in a stand mixer, combine room temperature butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extra and beat again.
- Pour in the applesauce and greek yogurt, beating again until all of the wet ingredients are smooth.
- Add in all of the dry ingredients. Beat until well combined.
- Lastly, pour in the cooled, reduced apple cider. Mix until batter is consistent throughout.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Add all of the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 38-45 minutes or until bread has risen and toothpick comes out clean.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine the toppings ingredients and stir.
- When the bread comes out, sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top and slice. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find CINNAMON DONUT BREAD calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!