A healthier appetizer that is still boyfriend / husband approved means you're in for a decadent for dish. You can pair this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip with fresh vegetables like celery or carrots, pretzels, and chips and you have yourself a game winning appetizer!
Table of Contents
About this Dip
It's hard to believe, I know, but I just discovered I like buffalo chicken dip....this year. My friend brought it over for the Super Bowl and having be a little scared of spice in the past, I was hesitant to enjoy it.
Turns out, it's absolutely incredible and I knew immediately I wanted to create a healthier recipe. Usually most buffalo chicken dips include ranch seasoning, but this one uses green onion dip mix seasoning with the option of french onion dip too (hmm hmm, I went there). You're going to loveee it!
This Buffalo Chicken Dip is a healthier appetizer that is still boyfriend / husband approved which means you're in for a decadent for dish. You can pair it with fresh vegetables like celery or carrots, pretzels, and chips and you have yourself a game winning appetizer!
For the Buffalo Chicken Dip:
- Buffalo Sauce (duh) - We love Frank's Red Hot around here.
- Chicken Breast - I prefer using rotisserie chicken (or shredded leftover chicken breast), but canned works too.
- Plain Cream Cheese - To lighten it up, I used fat free but one-third fat also is delicious.
- French Onion Chip Dip - You can also substitute non-fat plain greek yogurt. The creaminess creates the perfect dip texture.
- Cheese - For mixing in and for topping. I like sharp white cheddar, which tastes AMAZING when this dip gets bubbly in the oven.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Shred chicken into small pieces using two forks (if using canned, drain excess water). If using rotisserie, remove the skin and bones.
3. Sprinkle in 3-4 tablespoons of green onion dip seasoning and chopped green onions. Fold mixture together.
4. Grease an 8" x 8" oven safe dish. Pour in dip mixture and spread evenly into the pan. Top with extra shredded cheese. Bake for 25-28 minutes. If desired, broil at 525°F for 3-5 minutes or until cheese on the top is golden brown. Enjoy!
You can store in the baking dish covered with foil or in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat oif it's still in it's 8x8 pan, you can heat it in the oven for 10 minutes at 250°F. For quick convenience though, place a large spoonful into a microwavable safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals until hot.
You can prepare chilled buffalo chicken dip 2-3 days in advance. Make the recipe according to the instructions and stop just before placing it in the oven. Keep unbaked dip chilled in the refrigerator, and when you're ready to serve it, pop it in the oven and you're good to go!
Serve with Tostitos chips, fresh carrots and celery, or a freshly toasted baguette (by the spoon is also acceptable if not encouraged). I sometimes like to throw it in a tortilla, too for a tasty wrap situation similar to this Buffalo Chicken Crunch Wrap or even on slider buns!
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Mixing Bowl
- 8" x 8" pyrex dish
- Rubber Spatula
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- Measuring Cups
- 2 12.5 oz cans natural diced chicken breast, or one rotisserie chicken, deboned and deskinned
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 8 oz plain cream cheese, I used ⅓ the fat
- ¾ cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- ¼ cup french onion chip dip, Optional: substitute non-fat greek yogurt
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz block cheese of choice, shredded, I used Tillamook white cheddar
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 4 tablespoons green onion dip mix seasoning, can subsititue ranch seasoning
- 1 bag tositos multigrain scoop chips, or desired chip of choice
- 8 sticks fresh celery sticks
- 1 bag carrot chips
- ¼ cup canned white queso, drizzled on top
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- ½ cup shredded cheese, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Drain cans of diced chicken breast from excess water. Add into a mixing bowl and pull apart chicken with two forks until mostly shredded.
- Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of green onion dip seasoning and chopped green onions. Stir mixture together.
- Grease an 8" x 8" pyrex pan and pour in dip mixture. Spread evenly into pan and top with additional shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, then broil at 525°F for 3-5 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve with Tostitos chips, fresh carrots and celery, or toasted baguette bread. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!