This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
It's hard to believe, I know, but I just discovered I like buffalo chicken dip....this year. My friend brought it over for the Super Bowl and having be a little scared of spice in the past, I was hesitant to enjoy it. Turns out, it's incredible and I knew immediately I wanted to create a healthier recipe. Usually most buffalo chicken dips include ranch seasoning, but this one uses green onion dip mix seasoning with the option of french onion dip too (hmm hmm, I went there). You're going to loveee it!
Ingredients in this Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- For the Buffalo Chicken Dip: chicken breast (I used canned for convenience but using freshly shredded chicken also works), plain cream cheese, french onion chip dip (can substitute non-fat plain greek yogurt), sharp cheddar cheese, shredded cheese of your choice (I love using tillamook brand white sharp cheddar cheese or any cello cheese product), diced green onion, and green onion dip mix seasoning.
- On the side: white queso (for garnish), fresh vegetables like celery and carrot stalks, and/or tostito chips.
How to make this Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain (2) 12.5oz cans of natural diced chicken breast from their excess water. Add chicken into a mixing bowl and pull apart chicken with 2 forks until mostly shredded.
- Add in 4oz (½ block) of cream cheese, ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo sauce, ½ cup french onion sour cream dip (can substitute non-fat greek yogurt here), ¼ cup chopped green onion, ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 4oz (⅓ block) freshly shredded cheese of choice. I used Tillamook sharp white cheddar. Optional: add up to another ¼ cup shredded cheese if extra cheesy dip is desired!
- Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of green onion dip mix seasoning and fold into mixture.
- Grease an 8" x 8" oven safe dish. I always use Pam cooking oil. Pour in dip mixture and spread evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes at 350 degrees F. If desired, broil at 525 degrees F for 3-5 minutes or until cheese on the top is golden brown. Be sure to watch the dip in the broiler to ensure it doesn't burn!
- Serve with Tostitos chips, fresh carrots and celery, or freshly toasted baguette bread (by the spoon is also acceptable if not encouraged).
Make it your own!
- Switch up the seasonings: This recipe features green onion dip mix seasoning mostly because I feel like I have too many recipes with ranch seasoning (is that even a thing or am I just over thinking it?) ANYWAY, this dip would be scrumptious if it was seasoned with chipotle or barbecue spices too!
- Chill it cold: who says it has to be baked? Used cooked shredded chicken and serve this appetizer chilled. It's refreshing and a fun way to switch it up!
- Turn them into mini sandwiches: layer this dip on toasted bread and make a decadent game day slider!!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Mixing Bowl
- 8" x 8" pyrex dish
- Rubber Spatula
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- Measuring Cups
- 2 12.5 oz cans natural diced chicken breast, drain excess water
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 4 oz plain cream cheese, I used non-fat
- ½ cup french onion chip dip, Optional: substitute non-fat greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz shredded block cheese of choice, I used tillamook white cheddar
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 4 tablespoons green onion dip mix seasoning, can subsititue ranch seasoning here
- 1 bag tositos multigrain scoop chips, or desired chip of choice
- 8 sticks fresh celery sticks
- 1 bag carrot chips
- ¼ cup canned white queso, drizzled on top
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain (2) 12.5oz cans of natural diced chicken breast from excess water. Add into a mixing bowl and pull apart chicken with two forks until mostly shredded.
- Add in 4 oz (½ block) of non-fat cream cheese, ½ cup Frank's Buffalo sauce, ½ cup french onion chip dip, ¼ cup chopped green onion, ¼ cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese, and 4 oz (⅓ block) shredded cheese of choice (I used @tillamook white cheddar cheese) into the mixing bowloptional: add up to another ¼ cup shredded cheese if extra cheesy dip is desired!
- Sprinkle in 4 tablespoons of green onion dip mix seasoning. Stir.
- Grease an 8" x 8" pyrex pan with spray vegetable oil. Pour in dip mixture and spread evenly into pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes at 350 degrees F. If desired, broil at 525 degrees F for 3-5 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve with Tostitos chips, fresh carrots and celery, or toasted baguette bread.
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It's my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!