Need a quick and easy breakfast that will fuel you for hours? This high protein, Healthy Frittata Recipe is your answer. It's filled with hearty sausage and delicious vegetables for a well-rounded meal!
About this Frittata
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so let’s start off on the right foot with this Healthy Frittata Recipe that’ll keep you fueled all morning long. It has raving reviews from a variety of taste testers! 😉
This recipe is easy enough to make for a weekly meal prep, but also tasty enough to serve at a brunch to impress your guests. It's filled with delicious vegetables like onion, bell pepper, spinach, and jalapeños, hearty protein from turkey sausage and eggs, and healthy fats from cottage and cheddar cheese. There's so much variety and flavor in each and every bite!
Slice yourself a nice big piece and serve alongside some avocado, potatoes, or a mixed green salad alongside a cup of coffee or tea. It's a great breakfast everyone will enjoy!
And if you're looking for more egg forward recipes, also try these Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs, this Crustless Spinach and Feta Quiche, these Homemade Egg McMuffins, this Loaded Hashbrown Casserole, or this Salami and Egg Frittata that I'm sure you'll enjoy, too!
- Turkey Sausage: I used turkey sausage from the Good & Gather brand, which you can find at Target. It's in green packaging.
- Veggies: I used onion, bell peppers, spinach, and jalapeño.
- Eggs: I used both eggs and egg whites in this frittata.
- Cheese: I used cottage cheese for fluffiness and cheddar cheese on top.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
Meals like this are so easy and efficient because you can customize them however you'd like. Not feeling one of the ingredients? Switch it out. Have a picky eater who won't eat certain vegetables? Put in what they do like! Need to clean out the fridge before everything goes bad? Use it up quick in this delicious frittata.
Here are some suggestions to change up this delicious meal:
- Use ground chicken or sausage in place of turkey. You could even use crumbled bacon. If you want to make this frittata vegetarian friendly, use a plant based ground beef or tofu. You could use a can of drained and rinsed black beans, or you could simply leave the turkey out all together. If you’re leaving it out, I suggest adding a few more eggs to your casserole to bulk it up a bit more.
- If you don't have cottage cheese, you can use Greek yogurt instead to replicate the same creamy texture.
- Try feta, goat cheese, mozzarella, or whatever your favorite cheese is in place of the cheddar.
- Go crazy with your veggies! Don’t settle on the vegetables listed in the recipe if those aren’t your favorite. Sliced cherry tomatoes, zucchini, asparagus, and broccoli would all be delicious as well!
How to Make This Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Finely dice red onions and add to the pan. Next, add in turkey sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Once the turkey is browning, add the diced peppers and jalapeno to the skillet.
2. In a blender, add eggs, egg whites, and cottage cheese. Blend until smooth.
3. Spray a 9x13 Pyrex dish with cooking spray and pour the meat + veggies into the Pyrex pan. Add in chopped spinach and stir around.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the dish and lightly mix everything.
5. Spread evenly with cheddar cheese over top.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the middle of the frittata is thoroughly cooked. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can wrap the dish you cooked the casserole in or transfer slices to a different container. To reheat quickly, pop in the microwave. If you have a little more time, try crisping it up in the air fryer.
The yolk has tons of nutritional value, so don't be afraid of it! However, if you do decide to leave out the whole eggs, you’ll want to use about 3 cups of egg whites total instead of one cup as the recipe is written.
Serve with sliced avocado or guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, sour cream or a dollop of Greek yogurt, Romesco dip, pesto, or dare I say spicy Mayo?! If you want to ditch the fork and knife, it would also be tasty as the filling to a wrap for a little breakfast burrito action.
Throw your onion in the freezer for 10-20 minutes before chopping. A chilled onion will release less gas into the air A few other options: try sticking your tongue out the whole time while cutting an onion. You’re going to feel silly but it helps reduce the tears drastically! You can also pinch an unlit match between your lips while you cut the onion. You could also invest in a mandolin chopper and avoid all of these problems!
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Healthy Frittata Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x13 baking dish
- Mixing Bowl
- cooking spray
- 16 oz turkey sausage
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ cup orange pepper
- ½ cup red pepper
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp jalapeno
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup lite cheddar cheese
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Finely dice red onions and add to the pan.
- Next, add in turkey sausage. Season with some salt and pepper to your liking.
- While that's cooking, finely dice the other vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the turkey is browning, add the diced peppers and jalapeno to the skillet. Note: You may need to add more cooking spray here. Make sure the meat is completely cooked prior to turning off the heat.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, egg whites, and cottage cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Spray a 9x13 Pyrex dish with cooking spray and pour the meat + veggies into the Pyrex pan. Add in chopped spinach and stir around.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dish and lightly mix everything.
- Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the middle of the frittata is thoroughly cooked.
- Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find High Protein Breakfast Frittata calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
Delicious! Super fast and easy to make.
This was so quick and easy and definitely creamy! Will be adding to my rotation of breakfast options.
Courtney Paige says
Thanks, Megan! So happy to hear you liked it!
Courtney Paige says
I love this recipe! Great for meal prep and my whole family likes it.
Boyfriend and I loved! Breakfast all week long!
Courtney Paige says
You and your guests will be impressed with this one - SO SO good!
Sydney Van Acker says
LOVE meal prepping this and depending on who I'm enjoying with, its so easy to customize - spice vs no spice, veggie vs meat, what type of cheese, etc. Everyone loves some version of this!