These Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas have all of your favorite taco flavors and are finished off with the same toppings you love, but they're rolled up and baked all together in the oven for only 25 minutes. The perfect weeknight dinner when you want something light, but still cozy.
This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
Taco Tuesday just became Enchilada Everyday
Let's try something new for Taco Tuesday! I love stuffing tacos, but sometimes it's nice to just scoop food out of a casserole dish, plop them on my plate, and enjoy.
These Ground Turkey Enchiladas are so easy to cook up, making them a perfect weeknight dinner. Plus, you can wrap the dish you bake them in with aluminum foil or saran wrap and put it in the fridge to store your leftovers. Easy peasy, no mess, minimal clean up, and so delicious, now we're talking.
This recipe features several fat-free and low-carb ingredients, making this a macro-friendly dish. But if you want to use the regular versions, feel free! These Skinny Turkey Enchiladas would pair great with my Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice or my Tasty Guac.
Ingredients for Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
Ground Turkey: You could use another protein like ground beef or shredded chicken as well.
Fajita Seasoning: You should be able to find this pre-packaged at the grocery store. If not, fajita seasoning is super easy to make with what you already have at home.
Fresh Spinach: A great way to incorporate some greens.
White Onion: These are slightly sweeter and have less bite as compared to red onions.
Green Onion: And these have more of a sharp, earthy flavor.
Fat-free Greek Yogurt and Fat-free Sour Cream: This will serve as one of the bases for our enchilada sauce. I've also used cottage cheese as a replacement for sour cream and it works.
All Purpose Flour: To help thicken our sauce.
Unsweetened Almond Milk: To help combine the yogurt, sour cream, and flour and make our sauce smooth.
Flour Tortillas: I use the "Cut Da Carb" ones from Trader Joes but any soft, flour tortilla will work.
Cheddar Cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese: One of the most important ingredients. Gotta have cheese with your enchiladas!
Elote Seasoning: I buy mine from Trader Joe’s.
Ground Turkey Enchilada Toppings
Use any of your favorite taco ingredients and load these enchiladas up! Here's what I used:
Salsa Verde: To top off our Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas and for dipping. Any salsa will work.
Avocado: A great source of healthy fat!
Tomato: A Taco Tuesday staple. Unless you don't like them! Then, leave them out.
Sriracha: For a little kick! You can also use Spicy Mayo or queso. Whatever your preference is!
Equipment & tools needed
How to make Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Finely chop the spinach and onions.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a little cooking spray over medium heat and cook ground turkey, fajita seasoning and onions. Once turkey is cooked through and onions are translucent, add in spinach and cook until wilted.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and almond milk first. Then mix sour cream, yogurt, green onion and elote seasoning into the bowl to make a sauce. Set half aside to use as topping. Add ground turkey and vegetable mixture to the sauce.
- Spoon ground turkey mixture onto tortillas and roll them seam down into an ungreased casserole dish.
- Spoon the rest of your sauce over top of the tortillas. Garnish with tomato slices and shredded cheese. You can use as much as you'd like. I like to cover the tortillas completely.
- Bake your Ground Turkey Enchiladas uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with more tomato, sriracha, and fresh avocado.
Healthy Ground Turkey Enchilada FAQs
These Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas hold up great as leftovers or as meal prep. You can simply wrap them the dish you baked them in with tin foil or plastic wrap and keep in your fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds or by placing the entire dish back in the oven at 300°F for 10 minutes.
Yes, classic enchilada sauce is red typically from either tomato sauce or tomato paste. There's also a green variety using green peppers, green chiles, or jalapeños.
In this Healthy Ground Turkey Enchilada recipe, we use a white sauce made with Greek yogurt and sour cream. This makes the sauce extra creamy and also adds a bit more protein to the dish.
If you like your enchiladas with lots of sauce, you could also add a store bought or homemade red or green enchilada sauce inside or on top of these Ground Turkey Enchiladas for extra flavor and moisture.
Enchiladas can get a bad wrap for being heavy and filled with "unhealthy" ingredients. In this recipe, we use lightened up ingredients. Per one Ground Turkey Enchilada has 30 grams Carbs, 12 grams Fat, 22 grams Protein. Carbs will fluctuate depending on the type of tortilla you use and fat will depend on whether or not you use fat-free dairy products. Regardless, these Ground Turkey Enchiladas are a great source of protein and extremely tasty!
If you love these enchiladas, you'll also love...
Check out this round up of ALL of my favorite Cinco De Mayo recipes too!
Or check out this post for more delicious recipes using ground turkey!
Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
- Non-stick pan
- Casserole dish
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 8 oz fat-free sour cream
- 8 low-carb flour tortillas
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup fat-free greek yogurt
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp elote seasoning
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Finely chop the spinach and onions.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a little cooking spray over medium heat and cook ground turkey and onion in fajita seasoning mix. Once turkey is cooked mostly through, add in spinach and cook until wilted.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and almond milk. Then add in the sour cream, yogurt, green onion and elote seasoning to make a sauce. Set half aside to use as topping. Add ground turkey and vegetable mixture to the sauce.
- Spoon ground turkey mixture on tortillas and roll them seam down into an ungreased casserole dish. You can also add some shredded cheese into each tortilla before rolling if you'd like.
- Spoon the rest of your sauce over top of the tortillas. Sprinkle diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, and salsa verde over the enchiladas. Ensure each tortilla is well covered.
- Bake your Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with more tomato, salsa verde, sriracha or queso, and fresh avocado. Enjoy!
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It's my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Skinny Turkey Enchiladas
1 serving (not including toppings): 30 grams Carbs | 12 grams Fat | 22 grams Protein
**Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
SHOP THIS POST!
note: the above links will open on Amazon.com