Ooey gooey melted cheese over potato gnocchis covered in a ground sausage vodka sauce. Italian pie meets pasta in this Pizza Gnocchi recipe for a hearty, delicious dish you and your family are sure to love.
About this Gnocchi
It’s two for the price of one! Well maybe not the price, but this Pizza Gnocchi combines two tasty dishes. You get pizza flavors in pasta form. I mean, I’m drooling already.
This recipe is also super simple. You’ve just got 15 minutes of stove top cooking to brown the meat and onions, with jarred sauce to create a tasty bolognese. Pour that over your gnocchi, top with cheese and pepperoni, and the rest is hands off.
The result is a Pizza Gnocchi casserole-like dish that’s hearty, savory, and bubbly with cheese. This is a comforting weeknight dinner that the whole family will love.
- Turkey Sausage - You can also use spicy sausage. This will get mixed in to create a meat sauce.
- Delallo Potato Gnocchi - I’ve not tried, but you can probably use cauliflower gnocchi in this recipe, too.
- Rao’s Homemade Vodka Sauce - I used jarred sauce for simplicity. Whatever your favorite sauce is, or whatever you have on hand, insert here.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Mozzarella melts well and will give that classic pizza texture.
- Italian Cheese Mix - Also for topping. I used a Provolone and Mozzarella mix. Two different types of melted cheese compliments this dish nicely, but you don’t have to stick to provolone and mozzarella. Think of what is good on pizza.
- Turkey Pepperonis - I used boars head that can be found on the end cap of the deli aisle.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. First, finely dice the onion with a vegetable chopper. Then, heat a skillet to medium heat and add oil, diced onion, italian seasoning, and turkey sausage.
2. Sauté for 8-10 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked and onions have browned.
3. Turn off the heat and add the Vodka Sauce and uncooked potato gnocchi. S
4. Stir together so everything is evenly coated.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pour everything from the skillet into the casserole dish.
5. Top the gnocchi with cheese. Cut the pepperonis in half and scatter over top. Cover the dish with tinfoil (this is very important as it will trap the heat into the dish and cook the gnocchi) and bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and gnocchi is cooked through (tender enough to be able to be poked with a fork).
6. Remove the tinfoil after baking and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to bubble the cheese. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. This’ll allow the dish to set a bit for easier serving. Enjoy!
Store it in an airtight container for 3 days. To reheat, microwave in 30 seconds intervals until it’s heated through. Cover with a paper towel to avoid splattering.
Be sure to cover your dish with tin foil before baking. This will trap the heat in and cook the gnocchi through properly.
No problem! If you have an oven safe skillet (like a cast iron), cook the onion and meat on the stove top. Then, add the sauce and gnocchi right to the skillet, top with cheese and pepperoni, and toss the entire skillet in the oven to bake.
Just like your regular pan pizza, this pizza gnocchi is completely customizable.
- Use your favorite pizza cheese. Mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, gouda burrata, parmesan, or even a creamy goat cheese would work.
- Change up the protein. Instead of or in addition to the pepperoni, add prosciutto, chicken, or sausage.
- Add veggies like red onion, peppers, olives, mushrooms. Whatever you’d put on your pizza!
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Pizza Gnocchi Recipe
- vegetable chopper or knife and cutting board
- Meat spatula
- Casserole dish
- cheese grater if cheese is not already shredded
- measuring cups / spoons
- kitchen scissors
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion
- 14 oz lean turkey sausage
- ½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 box (16 oz) Delallo potato gnocchi
- 1 jar (24 oz) Rao's Vodka Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded Italian cheese mix, I used provolone + mozzarella
- ½ cup Boar's Head turkey pepperonis
- fresh basil, for garnish
- First, finely dice the onion with a vegetable chopper.
- Then, heat a skillet to medium heat and add oil, diced onion, italian seasoning, and turkey sausage. Sauté for 8-10 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked and onions have browned.
- Turn off the heat and add the Vodka Sauce and uncooked potato gnocchi. Stir together so everything is evenly coated.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pour everything from the skillet into the casserole dish.
- Top the gnocchi with cheese. Cut the pepperonis in half and scatter over top.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and gnocchi is cooked through (tender enough to be able to be poked with a fork).
- Remove the tinfoil after baking and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to bubble the cheese.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. This’ll allow the dish to set a bit for easier serving. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find PIZZA GNOCCHI calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!