American Goulash was a childhood staple in my household, so I had to make a healthier version of the comfort food. This healthy, Chicken Goulash pasta is made with chicken instead of beef, plenty of veggies, and chickpea noodles.
Table of Contents
About this Goulash
If you grew up in the Midwest in the 2000s, chances are your grandparents served you American Goulash. It’s a delicious beefy pasta with tomatoes, onion, and cheese—and it's a true comfort food, especially on days when the snow just keeps coming down!
I was inspired to make a healthier version of the pasta dish that incorporates ground chicken and chickpea pasta. You can, of course, still use beef or regular pasta, and it will still taste amazing. I also topped it with some fresh mozzarella cheese for even more deliciousness!
This Chicken Goulash Pasta is a recipe your family will love and keep coming back to. It's also very suitable for meal prep, so you can make a big batch and enjoy for lunch or dinner all week long!
And if you're looking for more lightened up pasta dishes similar to Chicken Goulash, try this Baked Feta Spaghetti Squash Casserole, this Olive Garden Chicken Pasta, this Healthy Baked Ziti or this Healthy Skillet Shepherd's Pie Pasta. I think you'd also love this Pizza Gnocchi Bake, too!
- Pasta: I used a box of Banza Cascatelli chickpea pasta for some added protein and fiber. However, feel free to use whatever you'd like. Elbows or bowties would be so fun!
- Ground Chicken: I used 92% lean ground chicken. Having some fat content is importand for flavor (i.e. don't use 99% lean).
- Worcestershire Sauce: This is going to add some umami flavor. It's subtle but so tasty!
- Pasta Sauce: I used a jar of vodka sauce, but you can use your favorite red sauce.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. First, cook noodles according to package instructions. Strain, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large pot/dutch oven to medium heat. Add the olive oil or cooking spray and add in the ground chicken. Then, add in Worcestershire sauce and diced white onion. Give everything a stir to get the cooking going.
3. You can use a meat masher to break up the chicken as it cooks. Next, dice your cherry tomatoes and add them into the pot.
4. Then, pour in pasta sauce and stir. Mix well and ensure there are no chicken or veggie chunks stuck to the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat and place the lid on top of the pot and let the pot simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add the noodles into the pot and stir so they’re all covered. Allow the pasta to simmer for an additional 10 minutes on low heat.
6. Add the shredded mozzarella 5 minutes prior to serving. We want it to melt into the pasta mixture and be super delicious. Enjoy!
This Chicken Goulash holds up great as leftovers! Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, microwave in 30 second intervals until warm throughout.
Goulash is a traditional dish from Hungary and is a soup or stew of meat and vegetables. It's seasoned with paprika, which gives it a beautiful red color, and other spices. This pasta dish is actually a version of American Goulash, which incorporates pasta. It's sometimes called slumgullion and is similar to American chop suey. It's a delicious comfort food!
Make sure that after adding the pasta to the sauce pot that the burner is turned to low. You want the flavors to simmer together, but you do not want the pasta to dry out or burn!
Also, we want the ground chicken to have some fat content. It will take this dish from just okay to freaking phenomenal. Do not use 99% lean in this recipe! Head to my Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers or Healthy One Pot Pasta if you’re looking for something leaner.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
- Dutch oven or large pot
- Cutting Board
- measuring cups / spoons
- Rubber Spatula
- Meat masher
- 8 oz pasta, I used chickpea pasta
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken, 92% lean**
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 25 oz jar vodka pasta sauce, or sauce of choice
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Prepare the pasta according to the box instructions. Once cooked, strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot/dutch oven to medium heat. Add the olive oil or cooking spray and add in the ground chicken. Then, add in Worcestershire sauce and diced white onion. Give everything a stir to get the cooking going. Use a meat masher to break up the chicken as it cooks.
- Next, dice your cherry tomatoes and add them into the pot.
- Then, pour in pasta sauce and stir. Mix well and ensure there are no chicken or veggie chunks stuck to the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat and place the lid on top of the pot and let the pot simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the noodles into the pot and stir so they’re all covered. Allow the pasta to simmer for an additional 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add the shredded mozzarella 5 minutes prior to serving. We want it to melt into the pasta mixture and be super delicious. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find HEALTHY GOULASH PASTA calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!