This festive Funfetti Puppy Chow tastes just like birthday cake—and it requires just 5 ingredients! Coated in white chocolate, sprinkles, and funfetti cake mix, it's a quick 10 minute treat that requires minimal effort and is surely a crowd pleaser.
Table of Contents
About this Puppy Chow
Never heard of Puppy Chow? It’s a sweet treat made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. It’s also called Muddy Buddies, Reindeer Chow or Muddy Bunch.
This festive Funfetti Puppy Chow tastes just like birthday cake—and it only requires 5 ingredients! Coated in white chocolate, sprinkles, and funfetti cake mix, it's a quick 10 minute treat that requires minimal effort and is also always a crowd pleaser.
I think homemade Puppy Chow knocks the store-bought version out of the park. Try this celebratory flavor for your next birthday celebration. It'll surely be a huge hit! Or instead, check out this S'mores Puppy Chow, Oreo Puppy Chow, or Lemon Puppy Chow to satisfy your sweet tooth! Or these Lucky Charm Sugar Cookies as another cereal treat.
- Rice Chex Cereal: I used about half a family sized box. Wheat Chex or corn Chex work, too!
- Funfetti Cake Mix: To help achieve the deliciously sweet birthday cake flavor! Used as a coating rather than a batter, as it typically would.
- White Chocolate: I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.
- Almond Extract: This has a stronger flavor than vanilla extract. It will give the puppy chow a slight almond and fruity flavor!
- Rainbow Sprinkles: Fun, cute, and so sweet! I suggest larger sprinkles as compared to the little sugar crystal sprinkles that'll likely get lost in this recipe.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each rotation. Once completely melted, add in almond extract and stir.
2. Pour Rice Chex cereal into a gallon size storage bag. Then, pour melted white chocolate on top. Zip and gently toss until all of the cereal is covered.
3. Combine powdered sugar, dry funfetti cake mix, and sprinkles in a bowl. Then, add dry mix into the storage bag. Toss around until all of the Chex is well coated. Enjoy!
For best results, chill for 4-6 hours prior to consuming. But if you can't wait, it's still mighty tasty warm;)
Your Oreo Muddy Buddies can be stored right in the bag you made them in for 3-5 days. Just don’t throw the bag in the back of the pantry where it may get crushed and your Puppy Chow becomes Puppy Dust. However, if you’re concerned about it getting crushed, store in Tupperware.
Muddy Buddies freeze extremely well! Store in an airtight container or ziplock for up to 5 months. Thaw to room temperature before digging in!
It’s likely your chocolate has burned or “seized." This is why you need to stir it between every heating interval. You may be able to save it by whisking in a couple teaspoons of a neutral oil and mixing gently in an attempt to loosen the seized clumps.
You want all of the ingredients coated, but try not to over mix! You don't want the Chex to crumble.
I call this Puppy Chow, but it’s most definitely NOT meant for dogs. With all of the chocolate and sugar involved, you’ll end up with a very sick puppy if they get their paws on this treat.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Funfetti Puppy Chow
- Gallon size storage bag
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Microwave safe dish
- Rubber Spatula
- 6 oz Rice Chex cereal
- 1½ cups Ghirardelli white chocolate chips
- ½ cup funfetti cake mix
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each rotation. Once completely melted, add in almond extract and stir.
- Pour Rice Chex cereal into a gallon size storage bag.
- Pour melted white chocolate in the bag. Zip and gently toss until all of the cereal is covered. You can do this in a mixing bowl if you prefer.
- Combine powdered sugar, dry funfetti cake mix, and sprinkles in a bowl. Mix together.
- Add the dry mix to the storage bag and gently toss around.
- Let puppy chow chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight prior to consuming. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find FUNFETTI PUPPY CHOW calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!