There's something about lemon that holds a special place in my heart (& belly). This Lemon Puppy Chow recipe is sweet, tart, crunchy, chocolatey, and sugary all at the same time. I guarantee that it'll curb whatever kind of sweet tooth you've got going on.
Table of Contents
About this Puppy Chow
Sooooo I just devoured half the bag of this Lemon Puppy Chow Recipe by myself...in one sitting. It's the most amazing snack! Perfectly tart, perfectly sweet, it's so hard to put down.
Typically puppy chow (aka Muddy Buddies) is a combination of chocolate and peanut butter coating the Chex cereal and finished off with a powdered sugar dusting. Although we'll keep the idea the same, this recipe is all about sweet citrus flavoring.
We'll use lemon cake mix and white chocolate to cover our Chex cereal for a crunch sweet treat that is so hard to resist. And if you love puppy chow, try my Oreo Puppy Chow, Funfetti Puppy Chow, or S'mores Puppy Chow, which you'll obsess over too!
- Chex Cereal: I used about half a family sized box. Rice, Corn, Wheat, use whichever variety you'd like.
- Lemon Supreme Cake Mix: The dry cake mix provides flavor and that powdered coating texture we are looking for. I used the Duncan Hines one photographed above, but any variety will do.
- White Chocolate: I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips. This acts as the glue to get our cake mix to stick to the Chex.
- Lemon Zest: This adds that extra bit of fresh citrus flavoring. DO NOT just lemon juice or you'll end up with soggy chex.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each rotation. Once completely melted, add in lemon extract and dry lemon zest and stir.
2. Pour Rice Chex cereal into a gallon size storage bag. Pour melted white chocolate in the bag. Zip and gently toss until all of the cereal is covered.
3. Combine powdered sugar and dry lemon supreme cake mix in a bowl. Then, fold together. Add sugar mixture into the storage bag. Zip it back up and toss around.
4. Let puppy chow chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to let the chocolate harden. Enjoy!
This recipe can be stored right in the bag you made it in for 5 days in the fridge or on the counter. Just don’t throw the bag in the back of the pantry where it may get crushed and your Puppy Chow becomes Puppy Dust. However, if you’re concerned about it getting crushed, store in Tupperware.
Lemon Puppy Chow also freezes extremely well! Store in an airtight container or ziplock for up to 5 months.
DO NOT use lemon juice in this recipe in place of lemon extract or lemon zest. It will make your cereal soggy.
It’s likely your chocolate has burned or “seized" in the microwave. This is why you need to stir between each interval in the microwave. However, if you catch the burning chocolate early enough, you may be able to save it by whisking in a tablespoon of avocado or another neutral oil and mixing gently in an attempt to loosen the seized clumps.
I call this Puppy Chow, but it’s most definitely NOT meant for dogs. With all of the chocolate and sugar involved, you’ll end up with a very sick puppy if they get their paws on this treat.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Lemon Puppy Chow
- Mixing Bowl
- Microwave safe bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Cups
- Gallon sized storage bag
- 6 oz Rice Chex cereal
- 1¼ cup Ghirardelli White Chocolate
- ¾ cup Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp lemon extract
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each rotation. Once completely melted, add in lemon extract and dry lemon zest and stir.
- Pour Rice Chex cereal into a gallon size storage bag.
- Pour melted white chocolate in the bag. Zip and gently toss until all of the cereal is covered. You can do this in a mixing bowl if you prefer.
- Combine powdered sugar and dry lemon supreme cake mix in a bowl. Then, fold together.
- Add sugar mixture into the storage bag. Zip it back up and toss around.
- Let puppy chow chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight prior to consuming. Feel free to add more lemon zest if you want even more lemon flavor.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find LEMON PUPPY CHOW calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!