Just 5 simple ingredients, perfectly sweet, perfectly chocolatey, and perfectly crunchy. This Oreo Puppy Chow recipe is a fun variation of the typical chocolate and peanut version that you’ll find yourself making again and again.
About this Puppy Chow
First off, puppy chow and muddy buddies are the same thing. It all comes down to where you live and what you grew up calling it. But regardless both puppy chow and muddy buddies are a Chex cereal and chocolate mixture that is impossible to say no to. It’s just so good!
Typically puppy chow is a combination of chocolate and peanut butter coating the Chex cereal and finished off with a powdered sugar dusting. However, we are going to switch that up a bit with a Cookies and Cream version.
Have you ever had the Chex Mix packaged Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies? Yep, this is a Copycat version of that. What’s great too, is it only takes 10 minutes, 5 ingredients, and its so simple that kids can help out too!
And if you're obsessed with puppy chow, try my S’mores Puppy Chow, Funfetti Puppy Chow, or Lemon Puppy Chow, which are all just as easy and just as tasty!
- Rice Chex - Chex cereal is the base of our puppy chow. It gives the perfect crunch.
- White Chocolate Chips - Gives the "cream" factor to this Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies recipe.
- Funfetti Brand Oreo BROWNIE Mix - Using baking mix as an ingredient in recipes that aren't what the box calls for is such a fun way to add a TON of flavor with minimal effort.
- Powdered Sugar - A dusting of powdered sugar is a classic addition to the muddy buddy recipe.
- Oreos - We are making OREO puppy chow. We will crush these up into smaller bits.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a microwave safe bowl, add white chocolate chips and microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Do not overheat! Your chocolate will seize.
2. Add the Chex cereal to a gallon storage bag and pour melted white chocolate over top. Seal the storage bag and gently toss around cereal until it’s completely coated with white chocolate. Note: This will take some patience as you don’t want to break the cereal pieces while tossing, but you also need to spread around the white chocolate as best as possible.
3. In another Ziploc bag, add the Oreos. Get out as much air as possible and seal the bag completely. Use a rolling pin or your hands to crush up the Oreos into crumbles.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, toss together Funfetti Oreo Brownie Mix and powdered sugar. Then, add the crushed Oreos and dry brownie/powdered sugar mixture into the Chex/white chocolate storage bag. Toss until all of the Chex cereal is covered.
5. Place in the fridge for 10-20 minutes and the chocolate will harden (even on the edge of the bag). Enjoy by the handful, on top of ice cream, or whatever else you’d like! It’s so addicting!!
Your Oreo Muddy Buddies can be stored right in the bag you made them in for 3-5 days. Just don’t throw the bag in the back of the pantry where it may get crushed and your Oreo Puppy Chow becomes Oreo Puppy Dust. However, if you’re concerned about it getting crushed, store in Tupperware.
Muddy Buddies freeze extremely well! Store in an airtight container or ziplock for up to 5 months. Thaw to room temperature before digging in!
You want all of the ingredients coated, but try not to over mix! The chunks in this recipe are the best part.
- Use Hershey’s Cookies and Cream Chocolate Bars instead of the white chocolate chips.
- Try Corn Chex, Wheat Chex, or Crispix Cereal instead of the Rice Chex.
- Use Funfetti Vanilla Oreo Cake Mix instead of their brownie mix for a more ‘cream’ version and less chocolate.
I call this Puppy Chow, but it’s most definitely NOT meant for dogs. With all of the chocolate and sugar involved, you’ll end up with a very sick puppy if they get their paws on this treat.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Oreo Puppy Chow
- Ziplock bag storage size
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Microwave safe bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- 6 oz Rice Chex
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
- ½ cup Funfetti Brand Oreo Brownie Mix
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 15 oreos, crushed
- In a microwave safe bowl, add white chocolate chips and microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Add the Chex cereal to a gallon storage bag and pour melted white chocolate over top.
- Seal the storage bag and gently toss around cereal until it’s completely coated with white chocolate.
- In another Ziploc bag, add the Oreos. Get out as much air as possible and seal the bag completely. Use a rolling pin or your hands to crush up the Oreos into crumbles.
- In a separate mixing bowl, toss together Funfetti Oreo Brownie Mix and powdered sugar.
- Then, add the crushed Oreos and dry brownie/powdered sugar mixture into the Chex/white chocolate storage bag. Toss until all of the Chex cereal is covered.
- Place in the fridge for 10-20 minutes and the chocolate will harden (even on the edge of the bag).
- Enjoy by the handful, on top of ice cream, or whatever else you’d like! It’s addicting!!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find OREO PUPPY CHOW calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
Courtney Paige says
seriously, I could eat the whole bag of this Oreo Puppy Chow!! It's fabulous.
Sydney Van Acker says
Puppy chow because I eat this as fast as a puppy eats kibble!!! SO delish and even easier to make.