This Healthy Cheese Quesadilla is packed with flavor and stupid easy to make! Crisp pita bread with melty cheese and a seasoning blend to top things off.
Table of Contents
About this Quesadilla
That being said, 95% of the year I do not count macros, calories, or follow any 'diet' per say, but I do love getting creative during said challenges and that's how this Healthy Cheese Quesadilla recipe evolved.
It starts with lavash pita wraps and is loaded with cheese and a secret ingredient in the seasoning that takes it to the next level. It is full of fiber and high in protein, helping you reach your goals while eating something absolutely delicious. And if you're looking for an appetizer version of this cheesy snack, also try these Mini Quesadillas which are fun for parties and get togethers!
And if you're looking for more macro-friendly recipes, also try these Rainbow Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps, these Mini Burger Skewers, or these Ground Turkey Zucchini Boats that I think you'll love, too!
- Pita Wraps - I love the chewy and soft texture of pita bread for these quesadillas. My favorite brand is Joseph's Lavash Wraps and I buy them at my local Publix, but they're also available on Amazon. Packed with fiber, low carb, and lower calorie, the Lavash wraps are super healthy base for this quesadilla as compared to a regular flour tortilla.
- Cheese - I used a fat free Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Both are creamy and get nice and melty!
- Ranch Seasoning - This is my ~secret~ quesadilla ingredient. It really takes it to the next level.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
I LOVE when a meal is tasty and easy to switch up for different flavors. With this healthy quesadilla recipe it's easy to swap and sub for other ingredients as needed. That way you can experiment with different flavors or just use up whatever ingredients you have available.
- Instead of pita bread feel free to use naan bread, a flour wrap, or something like Siete grain free tortillas.
- Swap for any type of cheese, parmesan, gouda, ricotta, or even a dairy-free type to make this dairy-free/vegan.
- I like adding shredded chicken, ground turkey, or even turkey pepperoni to these quesadillas. You could also use ground beef or lunch meat if preferred. And for a vegan version just leave the meat out entirely or experiment with some roasted tofu or tempeh.
- Add fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, chives, or basil to the cheese mixture before topping the quesadilla. Or swap the ranch seasoning with truffle salt, everything bagel seasoning, or even pizza seasoning.
How to Make This Recipe
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Once warm, add one pita to the skillet.
- Layer mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and seasoning onto the pita.
- Place the top pita overtop the cheese and seasoning layer then flip the quesadilla.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Enjoy!
This Healthy Cheese Quesadilla takes less than 10 minutes to make and it is best served fresh, so I recommend enjoying right away rather than attempting to prep in advance. If you do have leftovers, however, you can store wrapped in tinfoil for up to 3 days. Reheat in a toaster oven or back on a skillet to keep the pita crispy.
If your pita is burning, you likely have the heat too high or have not greased the pan well enough. Do not go above medium heat and be sure to thoroughly grease the skillet.
Some of my favorites are a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream, marinara, ranch, or sriracha. Or if you're feeling fancy and want to pair another recipe, try out Homemade Guacamole, Food Processor Salsa, Fresh Mango Salsa, or Spicy Feta Street Corn Dip to go on these quesadillas, too!
Sure! If you'd like to take the baking route, assemble your quesadilla and put on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray the quesadilla with a little cooking spray to help get the pita nice and golden and bake at 425°F for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Healthy Cheese Quesadilla
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 lavash pita wraps
- olive oil or any cooking spray
- ⅓ cup fat free mozzarella
- ⅓ cup fat free cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp ranch seasoning
- Optional: turkey pepperonis or roasted chicken / turkey
- To dip: fat free ranch, sriracha, or honey mustard
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking oil. Once warm, add a pita to the skillet.
- Layer mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, chicken (or another meat), and seasoning onto the pita.
- Place the top pita overtop the cheese, chicken, and seasoning layer then flip the quesadilla.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with fat free ranch, sriracha, honey mustard, or warm marinara.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Macro-Friendly Cheesy QuesadillaE calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!