This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
Is there anything better than a warm cozy meal? I think not! This Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is the epitome of cozy comfort food and a current favorite of mine. It’s saucy, cheesy and rich with flavor from tomato and spice. I love serving buttered toast alongside this chili or crumbling crackers overtop for a little something extra!
The best part of this turkey chili is how easy it is thanks to the magic of slow cookers. You all know I love my key kitchen appliances and this is certainly one of them. Makes life so much simpler when I can toss everything in and let it go!
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Chili
Sweet Potatoes – Although these may be untraditional, I love how they add texture and a slight sweet flavor to this turkey chili.
Turkey – A great lean meat option for this sweet potato chili. Turkey is actually super tasty when you cook it with proper and enough seasoning.
White Onion – Adds a slight bite to the chili without being too strong of onion flavor.
Red/Orange Pepper – A vitamin rich vegetable that taste so delicious with the tomato base of chili.
Black Beans – Adds plant based protein, fiber, and great texture to this healthy chili recipe. Make sure to rinse the beans well before adding to the mix.
Chili Powder – Adds a kick of heat and elevates this chili recipe.
Tomato Sauce – A great base for chili because it adds flavor and moisture. Feel free to use any flavor/brand that you have available.
Tomato Paste – Thickens the chili while adding more tomato flavor to the mix. If you don’t have tomato paste though, you can sub it by leaving it + the cup of water out and instead adding 2 jars of tomato sauce with 2 tbsp water.
Diced Tomatoes – I love the texture of biting into thick tomato chunks full of juicy flavor.
Olive Oil – Used to saute the onions and peppers while adding a depth of flavor and healthy fats to the turkey chili. My favorite brand to use is Bertolli because it’s cost effective yet high quality!
Sriracha – Adds a bit of heat to this sweet potato chili that elevates the flavors of everything else. This sriracha is always stocked in my fridge, my absolute favorite!
How to Make Turkey Chili in Slow Cooker
Heat a stove top skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil to pan (or cooking spray), add in ground turkey. Cook for 5-8 minutes until turkey is 90% cooked. Remove from heat and stir in sriracha (optional).
Peel sweet potatoes and dice. Chop white onions, red pepper, and the orange pepper. Drain and rinse black beans.
Set the crock pot / slow cooker to High heat. Layer in chopped vegetables (onion, peppers, sweet potatoes), then sprinkle in cooked ground turkey, and black beans.
Add in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Fold together. Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir every hour or so. Ensure all vegetables are completely saturated in chili sauce for even cooking.
Serve hot & topped with crackers, cheese (crumbles of feta / colby jack), greek yogurt / sour cream, or chives.
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili Add Ins or Substitutions
What’s extra special about a good chili recipe is that it’s so versatile. This turkey sweet potato chili can easily change with a few simple swaps or tasty add ins! Customize this to fit your budget, use up extra food, satisfy a taste preference, or accommodate a dietary need.
- Sweet potatoes go very well in this chili recipe but if needed, swap for regular potatoes.
- The ground turkey is my favorite lean meat option for chili but shredded chicken or regular red meat would work too.
- For a vegetarian/vegan version, simply leave the meat out entirely, add impossible meat (or another type), or sub it for another can of beans.
- Get creative with veggies and try swapping for or adding in carrots, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, spinach, corn, or any other veggie you life.
- If you don’t have tomato paste, use the trick I mentioned up above. Sub 2 jars tomato sauce + 2 tbsp water for the tomato paste + water in the original recipe.
- Add in grains for extra texture or to replace the beans. I think quinoa or rice would be perfect in this chili!
- Have fun with spices such as paprika, cinnamon, garlic, lemon pepper, etc for different flavors in the chili. You can also experiment with fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or more.
- Top this chili with parmesan cheese, sour cream, crackers, or even roasted almonds. I like to serve buttered toast with it sometimes too!
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- Slow cooker
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- 6 ½ cup cubed sweet potatoes
- 3 ½ cup ground turkey, 1 lb - I use 93% lean
- 2 cups white onion, diced
- 1 ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ cup orange pepper, chopped note: can sub colored peppers for any color you’d like)
- 1 can, 15oz black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can, 15oz tomato Sauce
- ½ can, 6 oz tomato Paste
- 1 can, 28oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, optional
- Heat a stove top skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil to pan (or cooking spray), add in ground turkey. Cook for 5-8 minutes until turkey is 90% cooked. Remove from heat and stir in sriracha (optional).
- Peel sweet potatoes and dice. Chop white onions, red pepper, and the orange pepper. Drain and rinse black beans.
- Set the crock pot / slow cooker to High heat. Layer in chopped vegetables (onion, peppers, sweet potatoes), then sprinkle in cooked ground turkey, and black beans.
- Add in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Fold together. Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir every hour or so. Ensure all vegetables are completely saturated in chili sauce for even cooking.
- Serve hot & top with crackers, cheese (crumbles of feta / colby jack), greek yogurt / sour cream, or chives.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!