A tangy hot sauce coating protein-packed chicken, along plenty of fresh veggies and garnished with creamy feta and avocado all over a bed of fluffy white rice. This Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl is a hearty meal, perfect for meal prep, that you're going to want to make again and again.
About this Bowl
I’m all for a little bit of heat in recipes. In cocktails (hello Spicy Marg), in my appetizer (I’m looking at you Cheesy Jalapeño Poppers), and in my main dishes like this Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl bring on the spice. Buffalo sauce too, is so tasty because it’s not just straight up spiciness, but also a unique flavor with some tang from added vinegar and seasonings.
This Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl has protein-packed chicken, hearty white rice, and healthy fats from the avocado for some real staying power that is super satisfying.
It’s also got plenty of veggies like tomatoes, carrots, and celery for texture alongside creamy feta to contrast the heat from the buffalo sauce. It’s the perfect balance of flavors.
Have this bowl for a weeknight dinner but double batch it so you’ve got enough for lunch the next day too. Your future self will thank you, as this Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl holds up fabulously for meal prep and is arguably even better the next day when the buffalo sauce really seeps in.
If you love rice bowls, I think you'll also love this Spicy Salmon Bowl, this Homemade California Poke Bowl or this Chile Lime Shrimp Bowl, too!
- White Rice - Fluffy white rice will be the base of our bowl. You can sub cauliflower rice, brown rice, quinoa or any other of your favorite grains if you choose.
- Chicken Breasts - The hearty protein in this meal that will get coated by the buffalo sauce. You can use chicken tenders, chicken thighs, or rotisserie chicken, too.
- Buffalo Sauce - This is so tasty because it’s not just straight up spiciness, but also a unique flavor with some tang from added vinegar and seasonings.
- Veggies - This bowl has plenty of crunchy vegetables (carrots, onion, celery) that add so much texture to this bowl. We'll add tomato, avocado, green onion, and cilantro, too.
- Feta Cheese - Tangy and salty. Cheese is always a welcomed topping on any dish and feta pairs great with the ingredients in this Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. First, prepare the rice according to the bag instructions. For regular white rice, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the rice once water is boiling and set to simmer. Cover with a lid for 15-20 minutes. Once the water has evaporated, add 1 tablespoon butter and some salt and fluff with a fork.
2. While the rice is cooking, dice the vegetables (red onions, carrots, celery, cilantro) into small pieces. I like to use this alligator vegetable chopper that makes the veggie pieces nice even and saves time. Slice the avocado thinly.
3. Then, prepare the chicken. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add in minced garlic and red onions. Allow red onions to sauté for a few minutes until slightly browned brown. Then add in diced chicken breast. Cook the chicken breast until the internal temperature reaches 165° F. Pour in ½ cup of franks buffalo sauce and coat the chicken.
4. You can assemble this as one large, tossed rice bowl and then divide (my recommendation) or plate individually if you're going for presentation. Divide all of the ingredients into 4 bowls: rice, chicken, carrots, avocado, celery, tomatoes, feta cheese, cilantro, green onion. Use the remaining ½ cup of buffalo sauce as the dressing on top of the rice bowl. Feel free to add more or less to your preference.
Customize this Buffalo Rice Bowl to your needs! Don't let any one ingredient intimidate you from trying this tasty recipe.
- Low Carb - Use cauliflower rice instead of white rice!
- Vegetarian - Buffalo Tofu would be delicious to replace the chicken.
- Dairy Free - Just leave out the feta (there’s so much flavor in this Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl, you won’t miss it) or use a dairy free alternative.
- Gluten Free - Lucky you! This bowl is already Gluten Free. Enjoy!
Store your Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowls in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Because there is no lettuce in this rice bowl, the ingredients will last longer and won’t be soggy making it fabulous for meal prep!
Bleu cheese or ranch dressing would be a really tasty contrast with the buffalo chicken. Or try Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Yogurt Dressing. It is so tasty!
If you’ve got meal prepped chicken breasts or even a rotisserie chicken already cooked you can definitely use it on this bowl. Just shred or chop the chicken and toss it in a bowl with the buffalo sauce and sautéed garlic onions you’re good to go.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl
- Cutting Board
- sauce pan
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lbs diced chicken breast, ~2 large breasts
- 1 ½ cups Frank's buffalo sauce, divided
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup celery
- ½ cup tomatoes
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup green onion
- First, prepare the rice according to the bag instructions. For regular white rice, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the rice once water is boiling and set to simmer. Cover with a lid for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the water has evaporated, add 1 tablespoon butter and some salt and fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, dice the vegetables (red onions, carrots, celery, cilantro) into small pieces. The smaller the better to get maximum flavor from each ingredient in every bite. Slice the avocado thinly.
- Then, prepare the chicken. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add in minced garlic and red onions. Allow red onions to sauté for a few minutes to brown.
- Then add in diced chicken breast. Cook the chicken breast until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Pour ½ cup of Frank's buffalo sauce into the pan and coat the chicken.
- You can assemble this as one large, tossed rice bowl and then divide (my recommendation) or plate individually. If you’re serving a la carte, divide all of the ingredients into 4 bowls: rice, chicken, carrots, avocado, celery, tomatoes, feta cheese, cilantro, green onion.
- Use remaining buffalo sauce as the dressing for your bowl.
- Best with everything tossed together. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find BUFFALO CHICKEN RICE BOWL calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
Courtney Paige says
This has been made in our household numerous times since I developed it for the blog. IT IS INCREDIBLE! We add everything to a huge mixing bowl and toss together. It feels like Chipotle, but make it buffalo. Idea: use this as nacho topping for game days!
Sydney Van Acker says
mine didn't look nearly as pretty as Courtney's, but it was dang delicious! I used cauliflower rice as my base and salmon instead of chicken because I had extra on hand. It was so good and will definitely become a meal prep staple!!!
The flavor in this blew me away!! My husband and I are making this again for round two
So good and so flavorful! We also added ranch to lighten the spice a little. Will definitely be making frequently.
Trisha C. says
Amazing! Super easy to prepare and very delicious. Will definitely be making again!
I really loved this recipe! It was a great meal prep recipe and I always contemplating sneaking in another bowl for the day! Definitely try!!