This Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe is made with fresh and real ingredients and packs the perfect amount of heat. It's lighter, but still mighty delicious take on the classic cocktail!
About this Cocktail
You guys. My GO-TO drink for almost any occasion is a margarita. I love the heat and the sourness and let me tell you, this homemade Skinny Spicy Margarita brings it ALL.
This recipe is inspired by our local Tex Mex place in Atlanta which has one of the best spicy margs I've ever had. (Superica, IYKYK!) I just had to replicate it at home—and it's SO GOOD.
It features citrusy lime juice, smooth silver tequila, spicy chile lime seasoning and hot honey on the rim, all topped off with a sparkling lime club soda. And it packs the perfect amount of heat. You can even add more if you'd like. I give tons of suggestions in the Q+A section of this blog post!
And if you're wanting to try other margarita recipes, also try this Orange Jalapeño Margarita, this Banana Margarita, or this Italian Margarita, too!
- Silver Tequila: I used 1800 coconut tequila and it’s delicious!
- Cointreau: This is orange liquor. It adds some sweeter flavor to balance out the spice and sour.
- Trader Joe’s Jalapeno Limeade: This drink from Trader Joe's was simply made for spicy margaritas!
- Limes: Grab two so you have enough lime juice to play with.
- La Croix Lime: This will add some carbonation and more delicious margarita flavor.
- Jalapeño: This really helps bring in the heat.
- Chile Lime Seasoning: I love this seasoning from Trader Joe's.
- Mike’s Hot Honey: It taste's so good on the rim! Seriously, you'll love it.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Pour chile lime seasoning onto one plate and Mike's Hot Honey on another. You want to place it in a circle about the size of the top of your margarita glass so you can dip it and pick up the ingredients easily. Next, press the top of your glass into the honey and then seasoning to season the rim.
2. Dice your jalapeno into small pieces. Then, in a cocktail shaker, add diced jalapeno, the juice of 2 limes, tequila, cointreau, and jalapeno limeade. Shake together. Add ice to your margarita glasses and pour in the alcohol mixture.
3. Finally, top each drink with La Croix Lime and garnish with jalapeños, limes, and/or cilantro. Enjoy!
Yes, you can. Store the jalapeno, lime juice, tequila, cointreau, and limeade in a pitcher and keep it in the fridge before you're ready. This will allow the alcohol to soak up the heat from the jalapeno. Then, when you're ready to drink, rim your glass, pour the contents of the pitcher into your glass, and top with the La Croix.
Sure! Add the jalapeno seeds for an extra kick. Muddling your jalapenos will also give it an extra punch of heat. You can also infuse the tequila with the jalapenos by slicing one very thinly and adding to the tequila. Refrigerate for 2-3 days to allow the tequila to absorb the jalapeno flavor.
Triple sec is optional in a margarita! I chose to leave it out. But feel free to use it or use an alternative like simple syrup or liquid stevia.
A skinny margarita is made with fresh ingredients to keep it low-calorie while a regular margarita is typically made with a high-calorie sugary mix.
Add more Lime La Croix. To minimize spice, remove the jalapeno seeds. Like an extra sweet marg? Add some lemonade, agave, or grapefruit juice!
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Skinny Spicy Jalapeno Recipe
- Cocktail shaker
- Cutting Board
- jigger or shot glass
- 3.5 oz 1800 Coconut Silver tequila
- 1.5 oz Cointreau
- 1.5 oz Trader Joe’s Jalapeno Limeade
- 2 limes
- 6 oz La Croix Lime
- 1 small jalapeno
- chile lime seasoning
- Mike’s Hot Honey
- Pour chile lime seasoning onto one plat and Mike's Hot Honey on another. You want to place it in a circle about the size of the top of your margarita glass so you can dip it and pick up the ingredients easily.
- Next, press the top of your glass into the honey and then seasoning to season the rim
- Dice your jalapeno into small pieces. Then, in a cocktail shaker, add diced jalapeno, the juice of 2 limes, tequila, cointreau, and jalapeno limeade. Shake together.
- Add ice to your margarita glasses and pour in the alcohol mixture. Feel free to strain the jalapeno seeds out of the shaker here.
- Finally, top each drink with La Croix Lime and garnish with jalapenos, limes, and/or cilantro.
- Enjoy responsibly!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Skinny Spicy Margarita calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
Courtney Paige says
This is my 'signature drink'! It really is that good!
Sydney Van Acker says
Hot honey x chili lime seasoning is a combo I didn't know i needed
Sooo good!! I’ve tried a couple jalapeño marg recipes and didn’t think it was possible to make such a good one at home! Superica was also my spicy marg standard and this was definitely just as good!!! The hot honey rim was the perfect touch
Courtney Paige says
I LOVE that we have Superica as our standard :)))) Cheers, friend!