This Nacho Taco Salad Bowl is so flavorful, easy to make, and quite simply way better than your average taco salad. Why? Thanks to a blend of delicious seasonings in a convenient packet, creamy, cheesy queso, fresh, crisp toppings, and lean ground turkey.
About this Taco Salad
I love taco salads. Why? Because they're totally just tacos in a bowl. How awesome is that?! And these Nacho Taco Salad Bowls are so flavorful, easy to make, and are quite simply way better than your average taco salad.
Why? Thanks to a blend of delicious seasonings in a convenient packet, creamy, cheesy queso, fresh, crisp toppings, and lean ground turkey that'll no doubt leave you licking your bowl clean.
You also don't have to eat these nacho taco salads with a fork! Grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips and use them to scoop this crunchy, creamy, and spicy deliciousness right into your mouth just like regular nachos. Trust me, it's so good! Once you join the scoop squad, you may never go back. 😎
And if this recipe speaks to you, I encourage you to also check out this Ranch Taco Salad with Creamy Jalapeño Sauce, this One Pan Cheesy Mexican Skillet, or these Healthy Turkey Enchiladas.
- Ground Turkey: You could also use ground beef or chicken, or a plant-based meat.
- Fajita or Taco Seasoning Packet: You know how much I love my seasoning packets! Makes cooking a breeze.
- Queso: We'll use some to cook our meat and some to dress this delicious salad. You can also use your favorite shredded cheese in these taco salad bowls instead if you wish.
- Salsa Verde: Adds incredible flavor! I love to get mine from Trader Joe's.
- Tortilla Chips: It's so fun to scoop this salad with tortilla chips instead of eating with a fork. Truly makes me feel like I'm eating nachos! Totally optional though, enjoy how you'd like!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or a coat with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Cook ground turkey, queso, and fajita seasoning together until meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
2. While the meat is cooking, prepare all fresh ingredients for your Nacho Taco Salad by finely chopping your lettuce and slicing your bell peppers, jalapeño, lime, and avocado. Have your shredded cheese, queso, and salsa verde ready to use as well. If you’re feeling adventurous and want to add a homemade topping, I recommend trying my Spicy Corn Feta Dip, Pico de Gallo, or Homemade Guacamole. All of these will add an extra punch of flavor to this tasty salad!
3. Once your meat is done cooking, assemble all ingredients in a bowl starting with the lettuce and the meat.
4. Add your fresh ingredients and top with lime juice, more queso, cilantro, and extra salsa verde. Enjoy with a fork or scoop with tortilla chips!
This Nacho Taco Salad recipe is a great foundation to other Mexican dishes. So, if you aren't feeling a salad and want something a little heartier, try using these ingredients to make enchiladas, burritos, a quesadilla, an omelet or egg scramble, or even Mexican-style Sloppy Joes!
The protein in this recipe would also go great with hard or soft tacos. Maybe even a homemade Crunchwrap Supreme!
Store your leftover taco meat separately from the lettuce and vegetables in two airtight containers. Also keep your condiments (salsa, queso, lime juice) off until enjoying your bowl to avoid a soggy salad.
Absolutely! Omit the shredded cheese and either cook your ground meat without queso or use a dairy free version (this primal kitchen version is so tasty). If you choose to leave off the queso, I do recommend using a ground meat with a higher fat content. This way, you don't have to compromise on moisture or flavor.
I’m all about a good kick in my taco dishes, too! I always have elote, chile lime, or chili powder on hand. I recommend using those to help. If you're really feeling spicy, I'd also toss in some red pepper flakes.
As you are cooking your meat, make sure you are constantly stirring it so it breaks apart and doesn't cook as one big chunk. I love using this meat spatula to help with this. Also, ensure your meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F so you know it's cooked through.
Also dice all of your toppings while the meat is simmering! This will save you a lot of time. Finely diced veggies are best so you get a little bit of each flavor in every bite.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Nacho Taco Salad
- Cutting Board
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Cups
- Meat Thermometer
- Serving bowls
- 3 cups lettuce
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 package fajita or taco seasoning
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 small lime
- 1 cup tortilla chips, optional
- ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- ½ cup orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup queso
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- cooking spray
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or a coat with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook ground turkey, queso, and fajita seasoning together until meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare all fresh ingredients for your salad by chopping your lettuce and slicing your bell peppers, jalapeno, lime, and avocado. Have your shredded cheese, queso, and salsa verde ready to use.
- Once your meat is done cooking, assemble all ingredients in a bowl starting with the lettuce. Add your fresh ingredients and top with lime juice, more queso, cilantro, and extra salsa verde. Enjoy with a fork or scoop with nachos!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find TACO SALAD BOWL calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
No picture because mine wasn’t nearly as pretty as Courtney’s but working full time this was such a fast but healthy dinner option, it was delicious and it took us less than 10 minutes. Definitely recommend
Made this with a vegetarian ground meat and it was so delicious! Perfect for meal prepping too! I put everything in different containers then assembled when I got to work. SO quick and yummy.
Kenna L says
This was so good and so easy! And so customizable to fit macro needs!
Courtney Paige says
This recipe is consistently in my weekly meal prep! We absolutely LOVE it!!
Sydney Van Acker says
Cooking the meat in the queso is genius!!!
Made this tonight and absolutely loved it! Such great flavor. Also added sour cream!