This Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad highlights the earthy sweetness of root vegetables and is paired with an apple, feta, mint topping for an absolutely delicious dish. It's perfect as a holiday side dish, meal prep, or even a fancy dinner party.
Table of Contents
About this Salad
I've been loving these whole roasted carrots and beets that are deliciously sweet and soft with a fresh apple slaw recipe overtop! It's the perfect combination of sweet, crisp, and tangy to create a a crave worthy dish packed with fresh produce.
And I know it can be intimidating to take hard, crunchy carrots and imagine them as a crave worthy dish but I promise you it's possible! Roasting carrots for enough time, with proper seasoning, and adding extra flavor from something like a balsamic or slaw will transform this vegetable for you.
Not only is this Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad the perfect for the fall season and holiday celebrations, but it's also great as a side dish, a salad to meal prep, or as the base for a tasty meal. And if you're looking for more fall inspired eats, be sure to check out my Seasonal Harvest Salad, a favorite of for us! Or I think you'd love these Parmesan Carrot Fries, too!
- Carrots - You can't go wrong here, simply buy your carrots, wash, then peel them! For a more even roasting time, you can try and use carrots around the same size.
- Apples - My favorite apple of the season, the crisp texture and sweet flavor is perfect for this fresh apple slaw recipe.
- Beets - I always use pre-prepared beets from Love Beets. They're already cooked, soft, and ready to go! Find them in the refrigerator section of the store, usually near the lettuces.
- Crumbled Feta - Tangy saltiness to balance out the sweetness of this dish.
- Balsamic Glaze - The finishing touch to these oven roasted carrots and beets. I love balsamic as a dressing on most salads, and it doesn't disappoint with this one either.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
Make this salad your own! Once your carrots are roasted, the options for toppings are endless!
- If you're craving something sweeter, try swapping the balsamic glaze for a drizzle of honey.
- And if you're looking for something with a bit more heat, try adding a drizzle of sriracha.
- To add some crunch, I think sprinkling sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, pecans, or pepitas overtop would be a great idea!
- If crumbled feta isn't for you, try swapping that for another cheese like goat or parmesan. To keep it dairy free and/or vegan, simply omit the cheese all together or use a vegan option.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel carrots and place on the sheet. Massage with olive oil, add salt and pepper, then roast for 20 minutes.
2. Dice apple, chop red onion, chop mint, chop beets. Fold together in a mixing bowl to create a slaw.
3. After 20 minutes, remove the carrots from the oven and using a spoon, scoop the slaw to cover the carrots. Place back in the oven and cook for an additional 18-20 minutes until carrots are easily pierced with a fork.
4. Garnish roasted carrots with a balsamic glaze drizzle and crumbled feta then enjoy!
Store this roasted carrot salad in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy leftovers cold or you can reheat in the microwave.
Yes! If you're starting with raw beets instead of the already prepared kind, you'll need to get them in the oven first since they will take longest. Add peeled beets to the 350°F oven drizzled with olive oil. After 20 minutes, add the carrots and then after 20 more minutes (40 minutes total for the beets), when the directions instruct to add the slaw, you can chop the beets into smaller pieces (easier once they're partially cooked), add to the slaw and finish the recipe as written, going back into the oven for 18-20 minutes longer.
Be patient! This dish is so much better when the carrots are super tender. If at the end of baking time your carrots still seem pretty firm, don't hesitate to leave in the oven for a bit longer.
This salad is a great Thanksgiving appetizer, but also great for any fall day along side a hearty protein like chicken breast, pork tenderloin, or salmon. Or to bulk it up, but keep it vegetarian, try adding quinoa or farro mixed into the dish.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad
- Baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Mixing Bowl
- 8 whole carrots
- ½ cup honeycrisp apple, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup prepared beets, diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup fresh mint , chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic glaze
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Peel carrots and place on the sheet. Massage with olive oil, add salt and pepper, then roast for 20 minutes.
- ice apple, chop red onion, chop mint, chop beets. Fold together in a mixing bowl to create a slaw.
- After 20 minutes, remove the carrots from the oven and using a spoon, scoop the slaw to cover the carrots. Place back in the oven and cook for an additional 18-20 minutes until carrots are easily pierced with a fork.
- Garnish roasted carrots with a balsamic glaze drizzle and crumbled feta then enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Whole Roasted Carrots and Fresh Apple Slaw calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!