Lots of fresh Tex Mex veggies like corn, tomatoes, onions, and peppers combined with a hearty bean and a zesty vinaigrette come together to make a fantastic Black Eyed Pea Caviar. And I’m not talking fish egg caviar. This is a salsa like dish full of flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of!
Table of Contents
About this Caviar
Oh my goodness - you thought you finished my Spicy Corn Dip quick, you’re going to blow through this too. In my opinion, nothing tops the Spicy Corn Feta Dip, but this is an excellent younger sister pairing (oldest child speaking here). THIS IS SO GOOD.
Plus, this Black Eyed Pea Caviar super healthy! It has plenty of fresh veggies, some protein from the beans, and healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil.
There is so many ways to enjoy Cowboy Caviar. Classically you can have it with tortilla chips as a salsa, eat it over a bed of lettuce as a salad, with a grilled protein like chicken, shrimp, or salmon. But also don’t be afraid to just eat it with a spoon! It’s great for meal prep and a super healthy snack to have on hand.
And if you're into the dips, I think you'd also love this Peach Jalapeño Salsa, Avocado Crack Dip, Elote in a Cup recipe or Food Processor Salsa. Or for a heartier side with similar flavors to this recipe, try my Fiesta Rice.
- Black Eyed Peas - Cue ♫ “I Got A Feeling” ♫. But in all seriousness, these beans have a great texture. You could also sub black beans, kidney beans, or both!
- Veggies - I've included corn, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, bell peppers, avocado, and cilantro for a variety of fresh flavors and textures.
- Olive Oil - This is the base of our dressing. It’s mild enough to let the fresh ingredients shine, but a good olive oil is mighty tasty itself too.
- Red Wine Vinegar and Lime Juice - A bit of acidity, classically paired with olive oil for a smooth vinaigrette.
- Mike’s Hot Honey - I put this stuff on everything. I'm talking eggs, sandwiches, brussel sprouts. YUM. But in this Black Eyed Pea Caviar, it brings in both sweetness and heat rounding out all of the flavors.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Prep ingredients. Drain and rinse the can of black eyed peas. Wash and prepare all of the produce. Cook the corn if needed. Finely dice: tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, red pepper, avocado, and cilantro.
- I love using this veggie chopper because it dices everything into a uniform shape!
- Another tip: use a pizza cutter to quickly chop herbs.
- The finer and more evenly chopped the ingredients are, the more flavor you’ll get in each bite!
Step 2: Assemble. Add the beans and all of the veggies to a mixing bowl.
Step 3: Dress. To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Pour the dressing over the Black Eyed Pea Caviar and toss so everything is evenly coated. Serve with crispy tortilla chips and enjoy!
Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I actually prefer this dip once it’s been refrigerated and stored for a little while. Do note, if you store it for multiple days in the fridge the avocado will turn brown, which is safe to eat but not very appealing to the eye. For meal prep, you could always make the caviar and then add the avocado just before enjoying individual portions.
Classically, serve this like salsa with tortilla chips. It’s also delicious mixed into a salad on top of potatoes, or make it a meal with grilled chicken, shrimp, or salmon and some rice.
This Black Eyed Pea Caviar has a little kick from the fresh jalapeño and hot honey in the dressing. If spice isn’t your thing, leave out the jalapeño and use regular honey instead!
I used honey in this Black Eyed Pea Caviar so it is not vegan, but you can use agave or maple syrup in the dressing instead if you’d like to make it vegan.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Black Eyed Pea Caviar
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Mason jar
- 1 can black eyed peas, 15 oz
- ½ bag frozen sweet corn, ~1 ⅓ cup
- 2 avocados
- ⅔ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ small jalapeño
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
For the dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice, juice from 1 lime
- ½ tbsp chile lime seasoning
- 3 tbsp Mike's hot honey
- Drain and rinse the black beans
- Wash and prepare all of the produce. Cook the corn if needed. Finely dice: tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, red pepper, avocado, and cilantro.
- Add the beans and veggies to a mixing bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously.
- Pour the dressing over the Black Eyed Pea Caviar and toss so everything is evenly coated.
- Serve with crispy tortilla chips and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find BLACK EYED PEA CAVIAR calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!