This Butternut Squash Smoothie is a sweet, seasonal treat packed with healthy ingredients and fall flavors. Roasted squash alongside creamy yogurt and a scoop of vanilla protein powder with some cinnamon sprinkled in too, this smoothie is nutrient and protein packed, so get sipping!
Table of Contents
About this Smoothie
Butternut Squash in a smoothie? Don’t turn your nose up at it quite yet. When roasted, butternut squash carmelizes and becomes a sweet hearty addition to our smoothie.
This time of year, I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of pumpkin pie smoothies, but not being the biggest fan of pumpkin, I wanted to try something a little different. And this Butternut Squash Smoothie surely delivered. I’ve never had anything like it, but it’s on repeat for me now.
I love to enjoy this Butternut Squash Smoothie following a workout or a long run when I’m craving something cool and refreshing, but still fall-ish in flavors. It’s packed with protein thanks to Greek yogurt as well as vanilla protein powder to keep you full and fueled.
If spinach in smoothies isn’t your thing, this Butternut Squash Smoothie is an alternative to get some veggies and fiber into your smoothie, too. Also check out this Fig Smoothie, Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie, Chocolate Cherry Smoothie, or this Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie to change up your smoothie game!
more of our favorite Smoothie Recipes...
- Butternut Squash - You’ll want to roast the squash first, then freeze it. See below for how to best do this.
- Dates - These will help sweeten our smoothie. If you’re dates aren’t super fresh, soak them in hot water while gathering the rest of your ingredients to so they soften a bit before blending.
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt - This makes our smoothie thick and creamy.
- Protein Powder - I used vanilla protein powder from CleanSimpleEats (code APOP saves you $$). Cinnamon protein powder would be delicious, too.
- Oat Haus Granola Butter - This stuff is DELICIOUS. Even my dog Georgia is obsessed. (Code: COURTNEY15 saves you $$). You could also substitute almond butter or cashew butter.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Add all of the smoothie ingredients together into a blender.
2. Blend on high for 40-60 seconds or until frozen squash and banana are thoroughly combined.
3. Divide between two serving glasses. Garnish with fresh coconut, pomegranates, sprinkle of cinnamon, etc. Serve cold and enjoy!
The sound of butternut squash in a smoothie (and as the main ingredient) may scare some of you away. But fear not, between the caramelization that happens when the squash is roasted, dates, bananas, and flavored protein powder this smoothie is plenty sweet. You could also add maple syrup if you like it REALLY sweet, but I don’t think it needs it.
1. Peel the squash and trim off the stem.
2. Cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon.
3. Place squash halves flat side down (so it doesn’t roll around on your cutting board).
4. Slice lengthwise into ~1 inch strips. Then, turn the squash and cut horizontally to create ~1 inch cubes.
5. Toss with a neutral oil (I like avocado oil or Zero Acres cultured oil when roasting for a sweet recipe because they have neutral taste) and spread on a parchment lined baking pan.
6. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
7. Once the pan has cooled to room temperature. Place the entire pan into the freezer to freeze the cubes.
8. After about two hours I transfer the cubes to a large freezer bag to have on hand whenever I want to make this smoothie recipe.
Smoothies are a great blank slate for ALL the toppings. Some of my favorites on this Butternut Squash Smoothie include:
- An extra drizzle of granola butter or almond butter (peanut butter is too distinct of a flavor for this smoothie, in my opinion).
- Granola. A honey, maple or fruit and nut flavored granola would be my choice on this smoothie over a chocolate variety.
- Superfoods like chia seeds, flax, hemp seeds, coconut flakes, chopped walnuts or pecans for extra nutrients and more texture.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Butternut Squash Smoothie
- Rubber Spatula
- measuring cups / spoons
- ¾ cup butternut squash cubes, roasted then frozen
- 2 dates
- 1 medium banana, frozen
- ⅓ cup vanilla Greek yogurt, I used Two Good
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp granola butter, can sub almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (or cinnamon protein powder), I used Clean Simple Eats
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Add all of the ingredients together into a blender.
- Blend on high for 40-60 seconds or until frozen squash and banana are thoroughly combined, stopping and scrapping down with rubber spatula if necessary.
- Pour into 2 glasses. Garnish with fresh coconut, pomegranates, sprinkle of cinnamon, etc. Serve cold and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find BUTTERNUT SQUASH SMOOTHIE calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!