Rich, luscious, sweet, and with a little jolt. This Mocha Madness Smoothie recipe is a copycat version of the one from Tropical Smoothie Café, made right at home with just 7 simple ingredients!
Table of Contents
About this Smoothie
Tropical Smoothie Menu has some groundbreaking flavor combinations. Like this Bahama Mama Smoothie that I made a copycat recipe containing tropical fruit and white chocolate - it’s just so good!
But I couldn’t stop there. I decided it was time to try another one of their classics, so the Mocha Madness Smoothie was next up on my list to try to recreate. It's another one of my favorite items on the menu! The rich chocolate flavor alongside the buzz of a little coffee makes for a perfect smoothie. Plus, this healthy coffee smoothie is packed with 34 grams of protein and has zero grams of added sugar, making it a great way to start your morning.
If you haven’t tried the original Tropical Smoothie Mocha Madness, you ought to try this healthy smoothie recipe instead.And if you're looking for other delicious smoothie recipes to try check out this Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie, this Apple Kiwi Smoothie, or this Spinach Mango Smoothie (similar to the Detox Island Green Smoothie), which I'm sure you'll love, too!
- Yogurt - I used vanilla non-fat yogurt. Plain, chocolate or coffee yogurt (if you can find it) work, too!
- Almond Milk - Or any milk of choice. Dairy-free milk such as soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk, cashew milk work or dairy-milk does, too.
- Banana - You'll want it frozen! Otherwise, the texture of your smoothie will be off and/or watered down if you add ice.
- Chocolate - Cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder) and chocolate protein powder are what make this a chocolate smoothie. I used Clean Simple Eats Brownie Batter whey protein (code APOP saves you $$).
- Instant Coffee - The main ingredient to give our smoothie it’s coffee taste.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Want it to be only coffee flavored? Use vanilla protein powder and skip the cacao powder.
- Want more coffee flavor? You can use cold brew coffee instead of milk. You could even add an espresso shot for a real morning kick.
- Don’t want the caffeine? You can totally use your favorite decaf coffee or decaf instant coffee.
- Dairy-free? Just substitute out the greek yogurt for a plant-based version.
- Want it sweeter? Add maple syrup or honey. The protein powder I used was sweet enough, but adjust to your preferences.
more of our favorite Smoothie Recipes...
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a high-speed blender, add all of the ingredients together.
2. Blend for 30-45 seconds until the smoothie is completely smooth.
3. If needed, add more almond milk or cold brew to thin the smoothie.
4. Dust with a little cocoa powder (optional) and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Add to the blender in an order so that the powdered ingredients are away from the blender blade. I’ve found that protein powder directly against the blade can sometimes cause a burnt taste.
- Use cold ingredients for a cold smoothie. You definitely want your banana frozen with cold milk and yogurt to achieve the optimally textured smoothie for the perfect drinking experience.
- Freeze any leftover coffee you have from your morning pot in an ice cube tray and throw those into this smoothie, too.
- Start with less milk than you think you need and add in gradually. This’ll ensure you get a thick smoothie.
- If your blender has strength settings, start it on low and speed it up as you go. This will help blend the ingredients more thoroughly.
I kept it simple with a dusting of cocoa powder. Other great topping options for this mocha madness tropical smoothie recipe include:
- Cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- A drizzle of almond butter or peanut butter
- Greek yogurt swirled on the edges of the glass for a white and brown contrast.
- Chocolate sauce
- Chia seeds
I would not suggest adding spinach to this smoothie. It messes with the color and drowns out the mocha flavor. I do think you could add ⅓ cup of frozen cauliflower rice to bulk up your smoothie’s nutrient level without affecting the flavor.
You will need a high powered blender and then follow the recipe as is but just use ¼ cup of liquid. This will thicken up the smoothie and make it more spoonable. It may take a little longer to blend thoroughly. To thicken your smoothie even more, also try adding ¼ an avocado, ¼ cup rolled oats or ½ tsp of xanthan gum.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Tropical Smoothie Mocha Madness Recipe
- High Speed Blender
- measuring cups / spoons
- Serving Glass
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- ½ tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a high-speed blender, add all of the ingredients together.
- Blend for 30-45 seconds until the smoothie is completely smooth. If needed, add more almond milk or cold brew to thin the smoothie.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder (optional) and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Copycat Tropical Smoothie Mocha Madness calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!