A crowd pleasing casserole full of fiesta flavors. This Chicken Taco Casserole is hearty, cheesy, easy to make, and satisfies your Mexican food craving.
Table of Contents
Delicious Chicken Taco Casserole
If you're familiar with my cooking style, two things you probably already know: 1. I love Mexican food and 2. I love an easy weeknight meal. And this Chicken Taco Casserole checks both of those boxes (this Southwest Ground Beef Skillet does, too so check it out!).
Take all of your favorite taco night ingredients, combine them into one dish, top with shredded cheese and off to the oven it goes. The result is a hearty, delicious, and low carb casserole with bubbly cheese over top — the entire family is going to love it.
This Chicken Taco Bake is a great meal for a group (6 servings but can easily be scaled up), can be made in advance, and it's great for meal prep. It holds up very well for multiple days in the fridge and reheats to taste just as good the next day as it was out of the oven. So whether you're looking for easy recipes to bring to the dinner table for your family, or you're cooking for one, this easy chicken taco casserole is for you.
And if you love Mexican dishes as much as I do, also check out this Cheesy Mexican Skillet, this Mexican Caesar Salad, this Mexican Spaghetti, these Zucchini Enchilada Roll Ups, or these Carne Asada Street Tacos that I really think you're going to enjoy, too!
- Chicken - You can use chicken breasts, chicken tenderloins, rotisserie chicken, or ground chicken. Whatever you choose, you want it cooked and shredded before using in the casserole. I like to use leftover chicken from previous recipes.
- Black Beans - Beans bulk up the fiber in this recipe.
- Veggies - We will use white onion and bell peppers.
- Taco Seasoning Mix - A pre-made seasoning packet is an effortless way to add so much great flavors! You can also make your own homemade taco seasoning with chili powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - I like using a Mexican blend for this Chicken Taco Casserole. It gets bubbly and browned when you bake the dish.
- Sour Cream - This gets mixed with the chicken to create a creamy and moist filling mixture. You can use plain Greek yogurt here, too.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
This casserole is super customizable, so make it to your liking! Here are a few ideas for ingredient swaps:
- Meat: Use pulled chicken, ground beef, or additional black beans or pinto beans to make it vegetarian.
- Veggies: Add tomatoes, jalapeños, green chiles, mushrooms, black olives, zucchini, or cauliflower rice. This Chicken Taco Casserole dish is an easy way to sneak in extra veggies.
- Cheese: Instead of shredded cheddar try mozzarella, white cheddar, or crumbled cotija (a Mexican cheese similar to feta). Want it a little richer? Use softened cream cheese instead of sour cream.
How to Make this Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F then prep the casserole ingredients. Strain and rinse the black beans. Using a vegetable chopper, dice the peppers and onions.
2. Then, in a large bowl, add cooked and shredded chicken, sour cream, the juice of one lime, and taco seasoning. Stir together with a rubber spatula.
3. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour in black beans, peppers, and onions. Mix to combine.
4. Pour in the sour cream and chicken mixture and spread it evenly over the black bean and vegetable base.
5. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Garnish with green onion.
6. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Serve with dollops of sour cream, fresh avocado slices, jalapeno slices, and crumbles of tortilla chips.
What to serve with Healthy Taco Casserole
TOPPINGS! The Taco Casserole is just the flavorful base, but it's excellent with sides and toppings galore. Here are some ideas:
- crunchy tortilla chips (strips or scoops)
- side of rice (I recommend my Chipotle Style Cilantro Lime Rice)
- kick up the heat with jalapeño slices or drizzle of hot sauce
- sour cream or greek yogurt (for extra protein!)
- chunky salsa or fresh tomato slices
- avocado or guacamole
- extra cheeses
This Chicken Taco Casserole keeps super well and is a great option for meal prep. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds or on a skillet until everything is warmed.
Yes! You can freeze this Chicken Taco Casserole recipe for up to 3 months. Let cool completely then tightly wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap then cover in foil. You can also freeze individual portions in an airtight container. Let thaw in the fridge overnight or put the entire frozen casserole in the oven and heat at 300°F for 10-15 minutes.
Just like tacos, this casserole welcomes all of your favorite toppings! Garnish with your favorite taco fixings such as cilantro, green onions, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), avocado slices or guacamole, salsa verde, pico de gallo, or taco sauce, extra cheese, shredded lettuce, or sliced jalapeños.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Handheld juicer
- 9x13 inch casserole dish
- 1 lbs chicken tenderloins, cooked and diced (chicken breast or rotisserie chicken also fine)
- 1 can black beans, 14.5 oz
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz
- 1 small white onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp green onions, diced
- cooking spray
- sour cream
- avocado slices
- jalapeño slices
- tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prep the ingredients. Strain and rinse the black beans. Using a vegetable chopper, dice the peppers and onions.
- Then, in a mixing bowl, add cooked and shredded chicken, sour cream, the juice of one lime, can of tomatoes, and taco seasoning. Stir together with a rubber spatula. Fold in ½ cup of cheddar cheese into the chicken mixture.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour in black beans, diced peppers, and diced onions. Mix to combine.
- Pour in the chicken/sour cream mixture and spread it evenly over the black bean and vegetable base.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Garnish with green onion.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve with dollops of sour cream, fresh avocado slices, jalapeno slices, and crumbles of tortilla chips.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find CHICKEN TACO CASSEROLE calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!