This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
You’ll want to have this recipe on repeat—not just because it’s delicious, but because it’s a perfect meal prep staple. Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice is quick and easy to make. It’s also incredibly versatile. Pair it with tacos, Chipotle-style bowls, or a meat and vegetable pair of your choice!
You don’t have to make this rice in advance. It’s easy to set aside and cook as you prepare the other parts of your meal. When it’s done, just add the seasonings and then assemble everything together. In 30 minutes, you’ll have a hearty meal that will keep you full and nourished.
Ingredients for Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice
Basmati Rice: This fluffy, nutty rice is easily transformed with seasonings to complement a variety of dishes.
Lime Juice: Holds the power to take your rice from zero to hero! The acidity provides just the right amount of tang to bring all of the flavor together. If you’re using fresh limes, save a wedge or two for garnish.
Coconut Oil: This oil will provide a dose of healthy fat and add a slightly tropical flavor to the rice. Don’t worry—it won’t overwhelm the dish. If you don’t have on it hand or want to use something more familiar, substitute butter.
Fresh Cilantro: It’s as easy as chop and sprinkle to include this flavor in your dish!
Chili Lime Seasoning: Basmati rice is tasty on it’s own, but we want to take it to the next level. I used my favorite Chili Lime seasoning from Trader Joes. If you don’t have one near you, use a combination of sea salt and chile powder to achieve a similar flavor.
Jalapeno: Top your finished Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice with this to add a beautiful pop of color and spicy kick.
Equipment needed for this recipe
How to make Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice
This rice is so easy to make and is great for meal prep! You’ll have plenty to use in all different ways. It’s a great base to have in your weekly line-up.
1. Cook your basmati rice according to the package instructions in a 4-quart sauce pot.
2. Once rice is cooked, add in fresh lime juice and coconut oil. Then, mix well. Note: if you don’t have coconut oil, you can substitute butter.
3. Fold in chopped cilantro and spices.
4. Transfer rice to serving bowl. Then, garnish with lime wedges, jalapeno slices, and/or more seasoning.
Customize this rice to your liking!
This rice is so versatile and can be customized in so many ways.
Use it as a base for a curry dish or in as part of your filling in a vegetarian bean burrito.
Serve it with steak bites and a vegetable like sautéed peppers or edamame, or as a side to meat kebabs with fresh dill and lemon.
The possibilities are endless!
Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice
- 4 Quart Sauce Pot
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, sub butter
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chili lime seasoning
- lime wedge, garnish
- sliced jalapenos, garnish
- Cook rice according to instructions.
- Once rice is cooked, add lime juice and coconut oil (or butter). Mix well.
- Fold in chopped cilantro and spices.
- Garnish with lime wedges, sliced jalapenos, and/or more seasoning.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!