This creamy, yet light Healthy Summer Zucchini Corn Chowder is exactly the meal you need to add into your dinner rotation. Seasonal summer produce including fresh zucchini squash and sweet corn make this soup a veggie packed dream.
Table of Contents
About this Chowder
What is chowder? Chowder is essentially a thick soup or stew, typically with a heavy cream base and thickened with crackers or a roux. This Healthy Summer Chowder, however, is thickened with its own contents. We will blend a portion of the soup (including the veggies!) to make it nice and thick.
And just because we aren’t using the more indulgent ingredients, doesn’t mean that this Summer Zucchini Corn Chowder isn’t completely satisfying. The fresh summer produce packed into this soup makes it utterly delicious.
This is great as an appetizer, a side dish to some grilled chicken or steak, alongside a seasonal salad, or all on its own with toasted bread and some cheese sprinkled on top!
And if you're looking for more veggie forward soups, also try this Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Soup, this Dairy Free Tomato Soup (Fresh Tomatoes!), or this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup, which I'm sure you're going to love, too!
- Sweet Corn - Take advantage of FRESH, seasonal summer corn if you can find some near you. It is so sweet! But frozen will also work in your chowder.
- Summer Zucchini - To all the gardeners out there who complain about too many zucchinis, make this chowder!
- Dried Thyme & Sage - Adding herbs is adding freshness!
- Vegetable Broth - Along with the milk, veggie broth will be the base of our summer chowder
- Milk - I used unsweetened almond milk but half/half, whole milk, or coconut cream would make it creamier.
- Brown Rice - I used a microwavable packet of brown rice. You can cook your own too. Or use quinoa, farro, or Right Rice!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Heat a large dutch oven (soup pot) to medium heat. Wash and finely dice white onion, carrots, jalapeño, and celery. Slice zucchini into half moons.
2. Add the butter into the hot pot and then add white onion, celery, carrots, jalapeños and corn. *Optional, add 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour here for thickness and allow it to dissolve.
3. Sauté for 5-8 minutes, then add the diced zucchini. Allow vegetables to sauté for 12-15 more minutes. Sprinkle dried thyme and sage into the pot. Continue stirring to avoid burning.
4. Pour in the vegetable broth and milk and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Carefully use a glass measuring cup and transfer half of the soup into a blender. Pulse on high for 30-45 seconds until ingredients are blended (you could also use an immersion blender).
6. Then, pour the blended soup back into the dutch oven and stir. Add in COOKED rice and stir again. Serve with fresh grilled garlic or cheese bread, crackers, homemade croutons, dumplings, shaved parmesan, etc. Enjoy!
Store in a glass container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply pour into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat until soup is evenly heated. This works better than the microwave so it is warm throughout.
Typically, chowder is thickened with cream and flour that forms a roux. In this Healthy Chowder, however, we use the soup itself to thicken it up by pureeing a portion and then mixing it back in. OPTIONALLY, you could add 2 tablespoons all purpose flour to the pot when you add the vegetables for additional thickening.
Nope, it’ll cook right in the pot. I used frozen corn and dumped it right in, but you could also use fresh corn and do the same.
If you’re into clams, you could definitely add a can or two to make this a Clam Corn Chowder. Drain and rinse them then add when you’re pouring in the broth. I think this chowder would also be great with shredded chicken mixed in, crumbled bacon, or a can of chickpeas.
Yes! You can absolutely make Healthy Summer Zucchini Corn Chowder by just swapping the butter for a plant based version or olive oil.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Healthy Summer Zucchini Corn Chowder
- Cutting Board
- dutch oven (soup pot)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- blender or immersion blender
- large stirring spoon or spatula
- 4 tbsp sweet butter
- 2 cups sweet corn
- 2 medium summer zucchinis
- 4 large carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 small white onion
- 1 small jalapeño
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 pack 90-second rice, 8 oz
- Heat a large dutch oven (soup pot) to medium heat.
- Wash and finely dice white onion, carrots, jalapeño, and celery. Slice zucchini into half moons.
- Add the butter into the hot pot and then add white onion, celery, carrots, and jalapeños.
- Sauté for 5-8 minutes, then add the sweet corn and diced zucchini.
- Allow vegetables to sauté for 12-15 more minutes. Sprinkle dried thyme and sage into the pot. Continue stirring to avoid burning.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and milk and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully use a glass measuring cup and transfer half of the soup into a blender. Pulse on high for 30-45 seconds until ingredients are blended (you could also use an immersion blender).
- Pour the blended soup back into the dutch oven and stir. Add in COOKED rice and stir again.
- Serve with fresh grilled garlic or cheese bread, crackers, croutons, dumplings, shaved parmesan, etc.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find SUMMER ZUCCHINI CORN CHOWDER calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!