Easy and creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup that will satisfy the tastebuds and make you feel all cozy inside. There's nothing I love more than a warming bowl of soup with some creamy feta overtop and crackers for crunch! Pair it with a chilled glass of kombucha (or wine let's be honest) and I'm set for a cozy night in.
This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
why you'll love this roasted butternut squash soup
This recipe is so easy that there's really no excuse to not try it. And if you've never had butternut squash soup before, let me describe it to you. The texture is thick and light. While it may look like the pureed baby food you see in the stores, I promise it's not! Instead it tastes like a very sophisticated soup while being ridiculously easy.
While this recipe keeps things pretty simple, feel free to add some flair to your soup. Try adding spices like paprika or cumin for an extra kick. Or for more subtle flavor, experiment with adding coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, or even a dash of dijon mustard to elevate this butternut squash soup!
And if you're looking for another way to enjoy the seasonal flavor of butternut squash, check out my Seasonal Harvest Salad that's also easy and oh so fresh kinds!
Ingredients in this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash - One medium squash will work for this recipe but you could always try it with two smaller squashes or even a large one if needed. The key is to peel and roast the squash prior to making the soup!
Olive Oil - Softens the squash while roasting and elevates the natural flavor of the butternut squash.
Red Onion - I prefer the bite of red onion for this soup but you could also use scallions, chives, or any onion you enjoy.
Garlic - Fresh minced garlic gives the best flavor but garlic powder will work too. Simply swap the minced garlic for ⅛ tsp garlic powder.
Jalapeno - Adds a kick of heat to this soup but feel free to omit it if you're not a fan of spice.
Vegetable Broth - Adds moisture and flavor to this easy butternut squash soup recipe. Feel free to use any type of broth you'd like here and add more if needed to thin the soup out.
Seasoning - Salt and pepper are fine enough for this butternut squash soup but there are other options too! Try adding a dash of paprika, cumin, or even EBTBS.
How To Make Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- Preheat oven to 400F. Peel a butternut squash, slide in half (remove seeds), and dice into cubes. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheet and then sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to combine. Bake for 20-25 minutes until squash is soft.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare ¼ cup diced red onion, ½ tsp minced garlic, and ½ diced jalapeno. Combine together in a sauce pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sautee for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until ingredients are browned.
- Once the squash is finished cooking, take 1 ½ cups and place into a blender or food processor. Add in the stove mixture, ½ cup vegetable broth, and 1 tsp everything but the elote seasoning. Blend for 45 seconds - 1 minute until puree texture.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until hot. Top with crumbled feta cheese, jalapeno slices, and/or fresh crackers.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
What to Serve with Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
The only thing better than a tasty soup is choosing what to serve with it! I love adding different flavors and textures to meals by serving them alongside other delicious options. For this butternut squash soup in particular, here are my favorites.
- Crackers may seem basic but there are so many options out there. You can try all different textures and flavors of crackers to keep things interesting.
- Toasted bread is an absolute must for any soup. Toast a slice with butter or oil then sprinkle it with salt and enjoy alongside the soup or by dipping! You could also melt cheese on the bread and take things to a whole new level.
- Avocado toast is another great option, there's something about the creamy and cool avocado that pairs SO well with the creamy and warm butternut squash soup.
- Roasted pepitas or cashews can make a great crunchy topping for this soup too. Simply roast them with some oil and salt until soft yet crisp then enjoy.
- Chicken or sausage would be a tasty way to add protein and texture to this roasted butternut squash soup. For a vegan version you could add roasted tofu or tempeh.
- Biscuits are a classic and for good reason. I mean is there anything better than fresh baked biscuits served alongside steaming soup?! Make them fresh, from the freezer, or pre-made, so long as you like the biscuit that's all that matters!
Looking for more cozy recipes? You'll love these
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- High speed blender (or immersion blender)
- sheet pan
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ cups of roasted butternut squash
- ¼ cup red onion
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ½ diced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable broth, add more for a thinner soup
- 1 tsp elote seasoning, or salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Peel a butternut squash, slice in half (removing seeds), and dice into cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until squash is soft.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare ¼ cup diced red onion, ½ tsp minced garlic, and ½ diced jalapeno. Combine together in a sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sautee for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until ingredients are browned.
- Once the squash is finished cooling, take 1 ½ cups and place into a blender / food processor. Add in stove mixture, ½ cup vegetable broth, and 1 tsp everything but the elote seasoning. Blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute until puree texture.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until hot. Top with crumbled feta, jalapeno slices, and fresh cracker.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It's my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 bowl: 30 grams Carbs | 14 grams Fat | 3 grams Protein
**Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.