Seasonal, roasted butternut squash, paired with fresh jalapeños is a fun balance between creamy harvest flavors against a punch of heat. This Spicy Butternut Squash Soup will satisfy your tastebuds and make you feel all cozy inside.
Table of Contents
About this Soup
This Spicy Butternut Squash Soup recipe is so easy that there's really no excuse to not try it. And if you've never had butternut squash soup before, let me describe it to you.
The texture is thick and creamy. While it may look like the pureed baby food you see in the stores, I promise it's not! Instead it tastes very sophisticated when pureed into soup, yet ridiculously easy to whip up.
Wether you're vegan or just trying to eat more plant-based, this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup is also completely free of animal products. I do love to add a sprinkle of feta on top, but that is completely optional.
This Spicy Butternut Squash Soup is great for a cozy weeknight meal, a side dish or appetizer at your holiday feast, or even for meal prep! It holds up great in the fridge or freezer for multiple days. And if you're looking for more cozy soup recipes, try this Broccoli White Cheddar Soup, this Homemade Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes, this Healthy Chicken Tortellini Soup, or this Spicy Sausage and Cauliflower Gnocchi Soup, too!
- Butternut Squash - Butternut squash is an amazing fall veggie. It is nutty and subtly sweet, similar to a pumpkin. You will want to peel and roast the squash prior to making the soup!
- Garlic - Fresh minced garlic gives the best flavor but garlic powder will work too. Simply swap the minced garlic for ⅛ tsp garlic powder.
- Jalapeño - Adds the kick of heat we are looking for in this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup but feel free to omit it if you're not a fan of spice.
- Vegetable Broth - Adds moisture and flavor to this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup recipe. Feel free to use any type of broth you'd like here and add more if needed to thin the soup out. You could also swap for coconut milk or cream for a richer soup.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
While this recipe keeps things pretty simple, feel free to add some flair to your soup. I've include some options below, but feel free to leave in the comments what direction you take with this recipe!
Spices can really go any direction you choose in this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup. Try spices like paprika or cumin for an extra kick. Everything but the bagel seasoning, garlic powder, or onion powder are a few other flavors that come to mind.
For more subtle adjustments in flavor, experiment with adding coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, or even a dash of dijon mustard to elevate this butternut squash soup with more umami flavors!
This Spicy Butternut Squash Soup does have some kick to it. You can tone that up or down according to preference. Want more heat? Add hot sauce, cayanne or an additional jalapeño. Less heat? Leave out the jalapeño all together.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel the butternut squash, slice in half length wise and remove seeds. Dice your butternut squash into cubes.
2. Toss the cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil on a baking sheet and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until squash is soft.
3. While the squash is cooking, dice red onion and jalapeño and mince garlic. Combine together in a large sauce pot with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until soft and browned.
4. Once the squash is finished cooking, add to the pot with the veggies along with veggie broth and seasoning. Use an immersion blender to puree everything together (you can also transfer everything to a regular blender or food processor here).
5. (Transfer back to the pot if you used a regular blender or food processor) Then, let the pureed soup simmer for 20-25 minutes until hot. Top with crumbled feta cheese, jalapeño slices, and/or fresh crackers. Serve warm and enjoy!
Your Spicy Butternut Squash Soup can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat Spicy Butternut Squash Soup in 30 second intervals in the microwave in a microwave-safe serving bowl. You can also reheat stove top if you prefer.
This soup freezes great for up to 3 months. I suggest using either a glass pyrex with an airtight lid or storing in large freezer bags. Using freezer bags are nice because it takes up less space. You can transfer the Spicy Butternut Squash Soup right from blender to freezer bag if you plan to reheat stove top at a later date.
The only thing better than a tasty soup is choosing what to serve with it! I love adding different flavors and textures to meals by serving them alongside other delicious options. For this butternut squash soup in particular, here are my favorites:
- Toasted Bread
- Roasted Pepitas or Cashews
- Add Chicken or Sausage
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- High speed blender (or immersion blender)
- sheet pan
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sauce pot
- Rubber Spatula
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ½ cups of roasted butternut squash
- ¼ cup red onion
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- 2 diced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth, add more for a thinner soup
- 1 tsp elote seasoning, or salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp half and half, or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel butternut squash, slice in half length wise and remove seeds. Dice butternut squash into cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until squash is soft.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare dice red onion and jalapeño and mince garlic.
- Combine onion, jalapeño and garlic together in a sauce pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until ingredients are browned.
- Once the squash is finished cooling, take 1 ½ cups of the cubes and place into a blender / food processor.
- Add in sautéed veggies, vegetable broth, and everything but the eloté seasoning. Blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute until a pureed texture is achieved.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until hot.
- Top with crumbled feta, jalapeño slices, and fresh cracker. Serve warm and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!