This creamy Parmesan Rice Recipe is going to become your new favorite side dish. The rich, nutty, and tangy flavors brought by the parmesan will take any plain side of rice from boring to something you can’t get enough of.
This blog post and recipe is sponsored by Success Rice. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you so much for supporting brands that make A Paige Of Positivity possible.
Table of Contents
About this Rice
I know I’m not the only one who thinks rice can be a pretty lame side dish… That is until I tried this cheesy rice recipe.
It is a true comfort food and oh so satisfying. The parmesan gets slightly melted and makes the pieces of rice stick together a little bit. The plain is jazzed up with fresh herbs including parsley and tarragon which bring some sophistication to the flavors.
Plus it's so simple to make and requires just a handful of ingredients. Serve this creamy rice dish as a side to grilled chicken, pork chops, fish, or steak for an easy dinner, use it as the base to a hearty grain bowl, or make it for meal prep to enjoy throughout the week.
And if you're looking for other perfect side dishes, also check out these Perfect Roasted Green Beans, this Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe, or this Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice that I know you'll love, too!
- Uncooked Rice - I used Success Boil-in-Bag Jasmine Rice. It is quick and simple to make and you get perfectly fluffy rice every time! You could also use plain leftover rice from another meal.
- Light Butter - I like the richness it adds, but you could also use olive oil.
- Parsley/Tarragon - Using fresh ingredients is superior in most cases, and that's definitely the case with herbs! I get mine from Trader Joe's typically (where I can find them cheapest).
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese - Takes this rice from eh to AHHHHH😍
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Cheese: Instead of parmesan rice, try adding aged gouda, white cheddar, gruyere, or mozzarella. Or try a combination!
- Veggies: This rice would be delicious with caramelized onions mixed in. I also think roasted veggies like bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, or zucchini with this rice would taste amazing.
- Protein: Mix in ground turkey or chicken, crumbled tofu, or toss in a fried egg.
- Herbs/Seasonings: Get creative here. Try basil, rosemary, fresh garlic (or garlic powder), onion powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes or whatever herbs you’ve got on hand to add some amazing flavor
- Rice: The type of rice doesn’t really matter. You can use brown rice, arborio rice (which will make your dish much more like risotto), basmati rice, etc. Just make sure if you’re starting with uncooked rice that you prepare it according to package instructions first.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Start by preparing Success Boil-in-Bag Jasmine Rice according to box instructions.
2. Once it’s cooked, add it to a mixing bowl. Add in butter, salt, lemon juice, and ½ cup of shaved parmesan. Stir to melt butter and cheese (the heat from the cooked rice will melt the parmesan quickly).
3. Stir in the finely diced parsley and remaining shaved parmesan cheese and a little salt if desired.
4. Serve as the base to a Falafel Bowl or enjoy with another protein / vegetable combination.
- For best results, grate your own piece of parmesan cheese. This will make the creamiest dish. Pre-shredded cheese often has additives that prevent it from becoming that luscious melted texture we want.
- Have plain white rice leftover from another meal? This recipe is a great way to repurpose and jazz it up a bit.
This rice will hold up well in the fridge for up to five days. I love making it for meal prep! Make a batch (or double batch) and throw some cooked protein on top for lunches throughout the week. You could also freeze this in an airtight container or individual servings in Ziploc bags. Then, when you’re ready to enjoy, thaw and put back in the skillet to warm and crisp up a bit.
Grill up some veggies and pair it with some grilled chicken, shrimp, or crispy tofu. You could even add an egg or two to your skillet for a twist on fried rice! I used mine as a base to this Falafel Bowl.
I always reach for Success Boil-in-Bag Rice. It’s just 1 ingredient and takes just 10 minutes to make. You simply boil the rice right in the bag over medium-high heat and it comes in and it turns out perfectly fluffy EVERY time.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Parmesan Rice Recipe
- Sauce pot
- rubber spatuala
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 bags Success Boil-in-Bag Jasmine Rice, ~4 cups cooked rice
- ¼ cup light butter
- ½ cup fresh parsley or tarragon, or a combination
- 1¼ cup shaved parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ lemon, juice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Start by preparing Success Boil-in-Bag Jasmine Rice according to box instructions.
- Once it’s cooked, add it to a mixing bowl. Add in butter, salt, lemon juice, and ½ cup of shaved parmesan. Stir to melt butter and cheese (the heat from the cooked rice will melt the parmesan quickly).
- Stir in the finely diced parsley and remaining shaved parmesan cheese and a little salt if desired.
- Serve as the base to a Falafel Bowl or enjoy with another protein / vegetable combination.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Parmesan Rice calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!