This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
Hummus pasta, you say? How gourmet! This Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta may not be what you consider a typical pasta dish, but it is just as fragrant, filling, and saucy as you’d expect! And it requires minimal ingredients, making it so easy to create and enjoy.
Not going to lie, this recipe is reallllly spicy. (At least to my mild taste buds – and delicious. Duh.) But if that’s not your thing, hang tight! I share all kinds of substitutions that are kid and family friendly.
Ingredients needed Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta
Pasta: I used cavatappi, but feel free to use whatever kind is your favorite.
Ground Hot Turkey Sausage: If you can’t find ground sausage, you can buy links. All you have to do is take a knife and drag it down the middle to break the casing. Then, remove the meat and crumble. You’ll feel so accomplished!
White Onion: These types of onions are sweet and will help balance the spicy flavors in this dish.
Spicy Hummus: Sabra Hummus has a supremely spicy flavor that is great and I recommend for this recipe, but if you don’t want spice, you can use another flavor—whatever you like best.
Pasta Water: Before you drain your pasta, grab some pasta water to set aside. The starches will help thicken our sauce.
Feta Cheese: The crumbly, creamy texture of feta cheese is spot on and works great in pasta dishes.
Sriracha: Really helps kick up the heat. Totally optional, though!
Lemon Juice: Who knew such a little fruit would be the perfect flavor balancer?
Pepper: We just need a pinch. Add to taste.
Cooking Spray: To help ensure none of our food sticks to our pan.
How to make this Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta
1. In a sauce pot, boil 5 cups of water. Pour 16oz of pasta into boiling water. Cook noodles according to box instructions.
2. Before straining cooked noodles, save ⅔ cup hot pasta water. Drain remaining water.
3. Dice your white onion.
4. Spray your large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Cook 16 oz ground turkey sausage with ½ cup diced white onions until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Lower skillet to low-medium heat.
6. Scoop spicy hummus into your skillet with meat and onions. Add in ⅔ cup pasta water, lemon juice, sriracha (optional), and pepper. Mix or whisk together. NOTE: It’s not going to look really pretty, but it’s okay. I promise it combines together really nicely.
7. Add in feta. Mix or whisk.
8. Pour the noodles back into the sauce mixture. Let simmer until you’re ready to enjoy!
Customize this recipe to YOUR liking
You don’t need to make this pasta dish spicy if that’s not your style. Instead of spicy sausage meat, substitute sweet Italian sausage, ground turkey, or ground beef seasoned how you like. You can also use a different hummus flavor. Give roasted red pepper or roasted garlic a try!
Not sold on the hummus? No problem. Throw in your favorite marinara or alfredo.
Sub feta for parmesan or goat cheese if you like those more.
Throw in some yummy sauteéd veggies! You could do bell or roasted red peppers, broccoli florets, spinach, or carrots.
Hope you enjoy!
Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta
- 5 quart sauce pan
- large non-stick skillet
- large spoon or whisk
- Cutting Board
- 16 oz pasta
- 16 oz ground spicy italian sausage
- 10 oz spicy hummus
- ⅔ cup hot pasta water
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sriracha, optional
- pinch of pepper
- cooking spray
- In a sauce pot, boil 5 cups of water. Pour 16oz of pasta into boiling water. Cook noodles according to box instructions.
- Before straining cooked noodles, save ⅔ cup hot pasta water. Drain remaining water.
- Dice your white onion.
- Spray your large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Cook 16 oz ground turkey sausage with ½ cup diced white onions until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
- Lower skillet to low-medium heat.
- Scoop spicy hummus into your skillet with meat and onions. Add in ⅔ cup pasta water, lemon juice, sriracha (optional), and pepper. Mix or whisk together.
- Add in feta. Mix or whisk.
- Pour the noodles back into the sauce mixture. Let simmer until you’re ready to enjoy!
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!