Hummus pasta, you say? How gourmet! This Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta may not be what you consider a typical pasta dish, but it is just as tasty, filling, and saucy as you'd expect! And it requires minimal ingredients, making it so easy to create and enjoy.
About this Pasta
Alright so you hear hummus and you're thinking Greek, but pasta you're thinking Italian. And I'm thinking why not combine them?
The texture of hummus is so perfect for a creamy sauce, to me it just made sense. However, just because I said creamy don't go thinking this is rich and smooth like an Alfredo (although this One Pot Pasta Alfredo is amazing); this Hummus Pasta's got a kick.
Not going to lie, this recipe is pretty spicy (at least to my mild taste buds). But if that's not your thing, hang tight! I share all kinds of substitutions that are kid and family friendly.
And if you're looking for more hearty pasta dishes, be sure to check out Healthy One Pot Pasta, Creamy Sweet Potato Pasta, or this Chicken Ranch Mac 'n Cheese, that I know you'll love, too!
- Pasta: I used cavatappi, but feel free to use whatever kind is your favorite. Chickpea pasta or lentil pasta are great options to up the protein a bit more, too!
- Ground Hot Turkey Sausage: I chose hot sausage for a kick! Links would also work. And if you don't love spice, use regular.
- Spicy Hummus: Sabra Hummus has a supremely spicy flavor that is great and I recommend for this recipe, but if you don't want spice, you can use another flavor—whatever you like best.
- Feta Cheese: The crumbly, creamy texture of feta cheese is spot on and works great in this pasta dish. Helps tame some of the heat, too!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a sauce pot, boil 5 cups of water. Pour 16oz of pasta into boiling water. Cook noodles according to box instructions. Before straining cooked noodles, save ⅔ cup hot pasta water. Drain remaining water.
2. Spray your large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Cook 16 oz ground turkey sausage with ½ cup diced white onions until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Lower skillet to low-medium heat. Scoop spicy hummus into your skillet with meat and onions. Add in ⅔ cup pasta water, lemon juice, sriracha (optional), and pepper. Mix or whisk together. NOTE: It’s not going to look really pretty, but it’s okay. I promise it combines together really nicely.
4. Add in feta and mix. Pour the noodles back into the sauce mixture. Let simmer until you're ready to enjoy!
This dish holds up great as leftovers! It will last a good 4 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds until warm throughout.
You don't need to make this pasta dish spicy if that's not your style. Instead of spicy sausage meat, substitute sweet Italian sausage, ground turkey, or ground beef seasoned how you like. You can also use a different hummus flavor. Give roasted red pepper or roasted garlic a try! Also, leave out the sriracha.
If your pasta water is already down the drain, then you can mix ¼ teaspoon of cornstarch in 1 cup of water to obtain the same consistency. Just make sure the water is warm, mix thoroughly, and proceed with making the cheese sauce as written.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta
- 5 quart sauce pan
- large non-stick skillet
- large spoon or whisk
- Cutting Board
- 16 oz pasta
- 16 oz ground spicy italian sausage
- 10 oz spicy hummus
- ⅔ cup hot pasta water
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sriracha, optional
- pinch of pepper
- cooking spray
- In a sauce pot, boil 5 cups of water. Pour 16oz of pasta into boiling water. Cook noodles according to box instructions.
- Before straining cooked noodles, save ⅔ cup hot pasta water. Drain remaining water.
- Dice your white onion.
- Spray your large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Cook 16 oz ground turkey sausage with ½ cup diced white onions until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
- Lower skillet to low-medium heat and scoop spicy hummus into your skillet with meat and onions. Add in ⅔ cup pasta water, lemon juice, sriracha (optional), and pepper. Whisk together.
- Add in feta and mix.
- The, pour the noodles into the sauce mixture. Stir and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Spicy Sausage Hummus Pasta calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
I subbed garlic hummus and goat cheese, then added red pepper flakes. Amazing!!! Thanks, Courtney!
Jenny MacArthur says
Another freaking knock out! This was so beautiful and creamy. We used gluten free noodles and went with a Mediterranean hummus and feta and it was amazing. I think next time I’d add mushrooms and more spice! 12/10!!
I don’t know how this recipe hasn’t gained more popularity! We’re still making it over here! I sub all kinds of protein, types of hummus, veggies, etc. It’s so versatile and DELICIOUS!!!
Sydney Van Acker says
why is hummus in pasta not more common!!!! loving this recipe for meal prep. I'm not a huge spice fan, so I like using roasted garlic hummus instead of spicy and it's just so tasty.
Courtney Paige says
This came out even better than I expected. The spicy sausage is YUMMY!