These chewy yet soft Apple and Peanut Butter Snack Balls will become your new favorite snack! Made with fiber-rich oats, creamy peanut butter, diced Granny Smith apples, and healthy mix ins, these energy bites are delicious + good for you!
Table of Contents
About these Snack Balls
If you're anything like me, and need a tasty snack for on-the-go to avoid hanger episodes, these Apple and Peanut Butter Snack Balls are for you. I am a BIG fan of protein bars for on the go snacking, but they can get expensive.
So instead, make you're own on-the-go snack. These snack balls are silly easy to make and just so delicious! I'm telling you now, you're going to want to make a double batch.
These balls start with bright Granny Smith apples and an oat base mixed with flax, chia, and peanut butter packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fats to keep you full and satiated. They make for a perfect mid morning pick-me-up, sweet treat after dinner, or pre/post workout fuel.
- Apple - I prefer the sweet/sour flavor of Granny Smith for these energy bites with a perfect crisp texture.
- Rolled Oats - Add a chewy texture + fiber to these oatmeal peanut butter energy bites.
- Seeds - These snack balls use flax and chia seeds full of fiber and healthy fats to keep you full and satiated!
- Cinnamon - Elevates the flavor and pairs SO well with peanut butter + apple.
- Peanut Butter - I like using creamy butter so that it blends a little better, but if you prefer crunchy, it will also work!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
Time to get creative with what's in your pantry and make these peanut butter energy bites into a flavor of your own!
- Instead of a Granny Smith green apple you can use any type of apple you'd like! You could also try subbing it for another fruit like dried strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries.
- If you don't have PB2 try subbing it for 8 tbsp of peanut butter total. You could also sub it with 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder plus the remaining tablespoons as peanut butter.
- The flaxseed and chia seed can be swapped for hemp seeds which are still full of healthy fats and fiber. You could also leave these out entirely and just sub for more oats.
- While the peanut butter flavor pairs very well with apple, feel free to sub with any nut/seed butter! I think almond or cashew would be the best swaps!
- Add mix ins like chocolate chips, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, raisins, or chopped nuts for extra flavor and texture.
- Instead of making these into energy bites, you could always press them into a pan to make apple peanut butter energy bars.
How to Make This Recipe
1. First dice your apple into small cubes. You want them fairly small so the balls stay together.
2. Combine PB2 with creamy peanut butter. Stir until mixed thoroughly - if the PB2 is not blending well with the peanut butter, add a 1 tsp of water. Add the remainder of the ingredients into the batter. Fold until combined.
Step 3. Add the remainder of the ingredients into the batter. Fold until combined.
Step 4. Refrigerate the mixture for 10 minutes and then use a cookie scoop/your hands to form into 2” balls. Enjoy!
Store these balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months. I like putting a few in individual baggies/stasher bags for easy grabbing when I'm on the run.
I like to use a cookie scoop to get the perfect amount of the dough, then use my hands to form into more compact balls. If the mixture is sticking to your hands, spray them with a little cooking spray before rolling.
I would stick to rolled oats or quick oats. Steel cut have a much tougher texture and won't be as enjoyable in their raw form as used in this snack.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Apple and Peanut Butter Snack Balls
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons powdered PB2
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups creamy peanut butter
- 1-3 tsp water if needed for consistency, optional
- 1-3 tsp honey if needed for consistency, optional
- Dice granny smith apple. The smaller the better.
- In a large bowl, combine PB2 with creamy peanut butter. Stir until mixed thoroughly - if the PB2 is not blending well with the peanut butter, add a 1-3 tsp of water until mixture is combined.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients into the bowl. If needed, add honey to act as a 'glue' **depending on how the apple is diced will impact the overall formation of each bite. Fold until combined.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes and form into 2” balls. Store in the refrigerator.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Apple Peanut Butter Energy Bites calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!