These Cherry Chip Pecan Butter Energy Bites freeze well, and are the perfect snack for traveling, meal prepping, and just enjoyment. Can you really have enough energy ball flavors? I think you already know the answer to that. Why not include a classic childhood staple into a modern day healthy recipe? It's the best of both worlds.
This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure policy.
Give me all the cherries!
Maraschino cherries remind me of my childhood: enjoying one (or many) on top of our homemade ice cream sundaes or at a local burger joint when I'd order my 'special' soda (it was a Shirley Temple - but I loved it because it came with the tasty cherry). They're so simple, rich, and real. This recipe is so delicious simply because Mezzetta Makes It Betta!!
This is a sponsored blog post by Mezzetta. It's a pleasure to work with brands that I enjoy and value. Thank you for supporting Mezzetta by supporting me!
Ingredients in these Cherry Chip Pecan Energy Bites
These energy bites are made with pantry staples I bet you already have on hand.
- wet ingredients: Mezzetta Maraschino Cheeries, pecan butter, and almond extract
- dry ingredients: rolled old-fashion oats, chia seeds, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and a pinch of salt
How to make Cherry Chip Energy Bites
- In a large bowl, combine together rolled oats, chia seeds, diced dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and salt.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly fold in pecan (seed) butter and chopped Mezzetta's maraschino cherries. If the batter is too dry, add in 1 tablespoon of cherry juice to liquify.
- After dough like texture is formed, place the bowl in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to let dough harden. This makes forming the energy bite balls much easier.
- Then scoop mixture into rounded balls with a spoon or medium sized cookie scooper. Roll between hand palms to shape.
- This recipe makes 6 medium sized bites. Feel free to double the recipe and freeze when not enjoying.
The pre-mixing shot (above) to the after mixed image (below). There are so many fall, cozy flavors in this easy & decadent recipe!
your cherry chip pecan energy bite questions answered:
How can I make these nut free? This recipe is versatile enough to substitute the pecan butter for a sunflower seed butter or granola butter, and add extra rolled oats instead of slivered almonds.
We’ve got most healthy carbs (hello oats and fruit) and healthy fats (hello pecan butter, almonds, chia) in these bites. How can I up the protein? Add a few scoops of your favorite protein powder! Vanilla, coconut, or unflavored would be my suggestions. You may need slightly more nut butter so that your bites aren’t too dry, but no more than a tablespoon or so.
How should I store these energy bites? I like to keep mine in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze these bites up to 3 months. If you’re making a large batch for the freezer it’s nice to have on hand to take them on the go. By the time you make it to your destination/lunchtime at work or school/etc they’ll be perfectly thawed.
Any tips for shaping these energy balls? As the recipe mentions, definitely put your dough in the freezer for a few minutes before shaping. Using a cookie scoop works great for even energy ball size, then using your hands to round out the edges by rolling the ball between your palms is what I’ve found to work best. If you dampen your hands slightly with water, this also helps prevent the dough from sticking.
If you're all about bite size snacks you'll also love...
Cherry Chip Pecan Energy Bites
- Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- measuring cups / spoons
- ¼ cup pecan butter
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp Mezzetta Maraschino Cherries, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, diced
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds, diced
- ½ tsp almond extract
- pinch salt
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, chia seeds, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and salt.
- Add in pecan / seed butter and Mezzetta's maraschino cherries; use a spatula or spoon to combine.
- Place the bowl in freezer for 10-15 minutes to let dough harden - it will make the forming the energy balls much easier.
- Using a spoon, scoop mixture into rounded balls (rolling between palms to shape).
- This recipe makes 6 energy bites. Double recipe to enjoy for more!
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It's my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved, something that you think it might need, or just say hi!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Cherry Chip Pecan Energy Bites
1 energy bite: 17 grams Carbs | 8 grams Fat | 2 grams Protein
**Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.