These Cherry Balls are the perfect snack for on-the-go, for freezing, traveling, meal prepping, and just enjoyment. Sweet Maraschino cherries chopped finely and paired with smooth pecan butter and chewy oats, these little balls are addicting!
About these Energy Balls
If you're anything like me, and need a tasty snack for on-the-go to avoid hanger episodes, these Cherry Balls are the perfect little treat for you. I am a BIG fan of protein bars for on the go snacking, but they can get expensive.
So instead, make you're own on-the-go snack. These snack balls are silly easy to make and just so delicious! I'm telling you now, you're going to want to make a double batch.
Maraschino cherries remind me of my childhood: enjoying one (or many) on top of our homemade ice cream sundaes or at a local burger joint when I'd order a Shirley Temple with extra cherries. This recipe is so delicious simply because Mezzetta Makes It Betta!!
This is a sponsored blog post by Mezzetta. It's a pleasure to work with brands that I enjoy and value. Thank you for supporting Mezzetta and supporting me!
And if you're looking for more tasty & nourishing snacks, also check out these Healthier Peanut Butter Truffles, these Apple Cinnamon Bites, or these Apple Nachos that I'm sure you'll love, too!
These energy bites are made with pantry staples you may already have on hand!
- Mezzetta Maraschino Cherries - These aren't just a sundae topping! Those sweet red cherries, chopped up go fabulously in these balls.
- Pecan Butter - You can definitely sub your favorite nut butter/whatever nut butter you have on hand, but I love the richness that pecan butter adds.
- Almond Extract - This adds additional sweet, nutty, and fruity flavors really taking these bites to the next level.
- Oats - Holds these bites together and gives a slightly chewy texture that is just perfect. Don't try to substitute steel cut - the texture will be much too tough.
- Nuts and Seeds - I added slivered almonds and chia seeds for extra fiber, protein, and health fats to help keep you full and satisfied.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a large bowl, combine together rolled oats, chia seeds, diced dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and salt.
2. Using a rubber spatula, slowly fold in pecan (seed) butter and chopped Mezzetta's maraschino cherries. If the batter is too dry, add in 1 tablespoon of cherry juice to liquify. After dough like texture is formed, place the bowl in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to let dough harden. This makes forming the energy bite balls much easier.
3. Then scoop mixture into rounded balls with a spoon or medium sized cookie scooper. Roll between hand palms to shape into balls and enjoy!
Store these balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months. I like putting a few in individual baggies/stasher bags for easy grabbing when I'm on the run.
I like to use a cookie scoop to get the perfect amount of the dough, then use my hands to form into more compact balls. If the mixture is sticking to your hands, spray them with a little cooking spray or dampen with water before rolling.
Absolutely! Substitute the pecan butter for a sunflower seed butter or granola butter, and add extra rolled oats or substitute flax seeds instead of slivered almonds.
I would stick to rolled oats or quick oats. Steel cut have a much tougher texture and won't be as enjoyable in their raw form as used in this snack.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
- Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- measuring cups / spoons
- ¼ cup pecan butter, or nut butter of choice
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp Mezzetta Maraschino Cherries, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, diced
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds, diced
- ½ tsp almond extract
- pinch salt
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, chia seeds, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and salt.
- Add in pecan butter and Mezzetta's maraschino cherries; use a spatula or spoon to combine.
- Place the bowl in freezer for 10-15 minutes to let dough harden - it will make the forming the energy balls much easier.
- Using a spoon, scoop mixture into rounded balls (rolling between palms to shape).
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Cherry Chip Pecan Energy Bites calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
Sydney Van Acker says
I LOVE Maraschino cherries and can't find enough recipe that use them. These were so tasty and perfect to have on hand when that afternoon craving hits
Courtney Paige says
The cherry chip flavor in these - reminds me of the cake, but in energy bite form!