A hearty salad with plenty of texture always feels so nourishing and satisfying. This Broccoli Waldorf Salad features fresh broccoli florets as the base with juicy red apples and sharp cheddar cheese throughout. With a creamy, greek yogurt dressing this salad is a nutritional packed recipe that tastes outstanding too!
Table of Contents
About this Salad
A good salad is all about different textures and this Broccoli Waldorf Salad takes texture to the next level. Traditional Waldorf Salad contains fruit, celery and nuts, but is served over a bed of lettuce. In this recipe, we will give it a twist and swap out that lettuce for broccoli florets, also making it great for meal prep because the broccoli won’t get soggy.
With this Broccoli Waldorf Salad you get an amazing crunch from the broccoli and a crisp juiciness from the apple. This is topped with a healthy dose of sharp cheddar cheese as another texture element and that salty, tangy cheese flavor we all love.
This Broccoli Waldorf Salad is smothered in a greek yogurt dressing adding creaminess and some extra protein. I love serving this with grilled chicken as a tasty lunch or as a side dish at a summer barbecue.
And if you love fruit in your salad, also try this Triple Berry Summer Salad, this Pear and Pecan Salad, or this Blueberry Cucumber Salad with Peaches and Goat Cheese that I think you'll be into, too!
- Broccoli - Instead of lettuce, we are using crunchy, fresh broccoli in this Waldorf Salad.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Sharp cheddar has the perfect salty and tangy bite that nicely contrasts the sweet apples in this salad.
- Onion - Use red for little bit more bitterness.
- Rockit Apples - Rockit apples have just the right amount of tartness and just the right amount of sweetness. They're so juicy, too.
- Greek Yogurt - Yogurt will be the base of our Waldorf Salad dressing. This lightens up a what could be a heavy, cream based dressing and adds a bit of protein, too.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
This salad is super easy to make and comes together in just a few simple steps.
1. First, chop the produce: If you’re broccoli isn’t already cut into florets, chop into bite size pieces. If you buy a pre-cut bag of broccoli, cut any larger pieces. The smaller the better with this salad! Finely dice the red onion. Dice Rockit Apples.
2. Then, add produce to a large mixing bowl along with cheddar cheese.
3. For the dressing, in a smaller bowl combine greek yogurt, light mayo, salt, and parsley. Mix until combined. Then, add it to the mixing bowl.
4. Toss well until all broccoli florets are covered. Enjoy!
Since there isn't any lettuce in this salad, it holds up great for meal prep. Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
The best way to not completely make a mess of your broccoli head is to cut at the stems. You can get as close to the top of the broccoli as you need to, but keep your knife on the stalk portion to avoid getting tiny rice-like shreds all over the place.
Since we are keeping the skin on, you want to give your apples a really nice wash before adding them to your Waldorf salad. Soaking the apples in a 2 cup water / 1 teaspoon baking soda mixture for up to 15 minutes followed by a good rinse works really well.
Yes you will need to use a plant-based cheese alternative or leave the cheese out. For the dressing use cashew milk or soy yogurt in place of both the greek yogurt and mayo and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Broccoli Waldorf Salad
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- measuring cups / spoons
- 6 cups broccoli florrets , (32 oz bag pre-cut florets)
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups diced apple, Rockit
- ¾ cup non-fat greek yogurt, plain
- 2 tbsp light mayo
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- First chop the produce: If you’re broccoli isn’t already cut into florets, chop into bite size pieces. If you buy a pre-cut bag of broccoli, dice up any larger pieces. The smaller the better with this salad! Finely dice the red onion. Dice Rockit Apples.
- Then, add produce to a large mixing bowl along with cheddar cheese.
- For the dressing, in a smaller bowl combine greek yogurt, light mayo, salt, and parsley. Mix until combined.
- Add dressing to the large bowl and toss well until all broccoli florets are covered.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find BROCCOLI WALDORF SALAD calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!