This Mango Tomato Salad is going to look gorgeous on your summer tablescape. Made with plump and juicy tomatoes, fresh mango, and marinated mozzarella, it tastes great with your favorite protein!
Table of Contents
About this Salad
Have you ever wondered how the famous caprese salad came to be? I've been making so many of them lately that I had to take to Google and find out for myself. Here's what I learned from Wikipedia:
There are two common stories about the origin of the caprese salad. The first is that it's an homage to the Italian flag. The second is that it was created specifically for vacationing royalty and politicians.
However it came to be, I'm glad to be eating it now! 😂 Seriously, we make it all the time! And this Mango Tomato Salad is one of my favorite variations. It's so simple and fresh, and the colors are absolutely stunning! The mango adds a whole new level of flavor and takes this salad from good to delectable.
This salad is going to look gorgeous on your table, and is perfect to enjoy inside or outside. Toss this Mango Tomato Salad together for your next family BBQ, pair it with your favorite protein for an upscale dinner at home, or enjoy as is. It's the perfect summer salad!
And if you're looking for more fresh and fruity salad recipes, also check out this Strawberry Quinoa Salad, this Peach Burrata Salad, Triple Berry Summer Salad, or this Blueberry Cucumber Salad that I think you'll love, too!
- Tomatoes: I highly recommend using the jumbo multi-colored tomatoes. They'll make your salad look absolutely beautiful and not to mention super tasty!
- Mango: Make sure it's nice and ripe for the best flavor.
- Mozzarella: I used freshly marinated mozzarella balls. You could also use sliced mozzarella if you'd like. Just make sure it's fresh!
- Basil: I used 4 fresh stalks with the leaves.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
This caprese appetizer is fabulous on its own, but there are plenty of ways to spruce it up, too!
- Seasonings: You may like adding some fresh dill or mint along with or instead of the fresh basil. You could also add your favorite Italian dressing for more flavor. Pesto is also a great option!
- Add more fruits or vegetables: I think cucumbers, peaches, and avocado would taste amazing in this salad. You could even add sun-dried tomatoes!
- Introduce a nut or seed: You can get great health benefits and crunchy texture by adding toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Wash tomatoes and pat dry. Dice into eighths or equal bite sized pieces.
2. Next, peel the skin off of the mango and dice into strips.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mozzarella balls from the marinade. Cut each mozzarella ball into bite sized pieces. Finely julienne the basil.
4. Lastly, toss all of the ingredients in a bowl and top with fresh cracked salt and pepper. Feel free to add more of the marinade for a juicier salad if desired.
Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. However, note that because of the liquid from the tomatoes, mangoes, and marinated mozzarella balls, you won't want to store this for too long or else it'll get soggy. I recommend enjoying it as fresh as possible.
Yes! Burrata cheese would also be delicious. Burrata is a creamier, softer version of mozzarella, if you’re unfamiliar. If you aren’t using the marinated mozzarella balls, however, you may want to add some dressing to recreate the flavor. I suggest a light vinaigrette or even just a drizzle of balsamic as used on a traditional caprese salad.
To keep your basil fresh, trim the stems and place them in a glass or jar of water, just like cut flowers. Loosely cover with a plastic bag and leave on the counter. Although certain herbs such as parsley and cilantro can be stored this way in the fridge, basil does better at room temperature.
To julienne something means to cut it into short, thin strips. This helps add texture variation to the salad.
Enjoy alongside your favorite protein like chicken or steak. I think this would be great to bring to a BBQ and eat alongside ribs or burgers, too!
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Mango Tomato Salad
- Cutting Board
- Serving bowl
- Vegetable peeler
- Slotted spoon
- 4 jumbo multicolor tomatoes
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 container marinated mozzarella balls
- 4 fresh basil stalks with leaves
- pinch salt + pepper, to taste
- Wash tomatoes and pat dry. Dice into eighths or equal bite sized pieces.
- Next, peel the skin off the mango and dice into strips.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the mozzarella balls from the marinade. Cut each mozzarella ball into bite sized pieces.
- Finely julienne the basil.
- Lastly, toss all of the ingredients in a bowl and top with fresh cracked salt and pepper. Feel free to add more of the marinade for a juicier salad if desired!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find MANGO CAPRESE SALAD calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!