Sometimes you want something sweet but you're just not in the mood for chocolate. Look no further than these Dairy Free Lemon Bars. Tart and sweet, coming together in one gooey bite.
Table of Contents
About these Dessert Bars
There's something about a sweet and citrus together that just makes a perfect dessert. The contrasting flavors create a perfect combination that is so delightful and quite honestly, drool worthy.
These classic Lemon Bars have a perfectly soft and luscious, buttery shortbread crust made from a combination of plant-based butter and coconut flour making them both gluten and dairy free!
The creamy filling for these Dairy-Free Lemon Bars is rich and moist. When you sink you're teeth in you'll wonder how a recipe so simple turned out so amazing. And if you love this flavor combo of sweet with the citrus fruits, I think you'll also enjoy my Greek Yogurt Lemon Loaf, these Grapefruit Bars or this Lemon Puppy Chow, too!
- Plant-based Butter: You can use regular butter if you'd like. Just keep in mind that the recipe will no longer be dairy free. Whatever you choose, let it come to room temperature.
- Coconut Flour: Making these bars okay for a gluten free diet! Substitute with caution because coconut flour has significantly different ratios as compared to other flours — it's much drier. I have made with double the amount of arrowroot starch and they turned out well.
- Eggs: One of the most important ingredients! Eggs provide structure and texture to the filling. Plus the bright egg yolks give a natural color to the lemon squares
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed from large lemons is HIGHLY recommended. It has so much more flavor than store bought.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, beat together coconut flour, vegan butter, and powdered sugar with a hand mixer for 4-5 minutes or until it’s a well mixed crumbly texture.
2. Using your hands, press dough mixture into a 8x8 baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
3. While the crust bakes, grab a mixing bowl and beat the eggs. Add in lemon juice, lemon zest, and white sugar. Beat well until sugar dissolves.
4. Pour wet lemon curd filling mixture over baked crust. Return to oven and bake for another 28-32 minutes or until lemon mixture has completely set.
5. Let cool completely, then add powdered sugar over top.
6. Cut into 9 equal sized bars and enjoy!
These bars should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container after they have been baked. Otherwise, they’ll become an ooey lemon soup. These can also be frozen. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap, add to a freezer-safe bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
I HIGHLY recommend using butter when making the crust instead of coconut oil or another fat substitute because the coconut flour will absorb too much of it, failing to create a shortbread texture. I also recommend sticking with coconut flour because almond flour or another gluten-free flour blend will require a different ratio of other ingredients.
These Lemon Bars are sticky! For best results, a tip when cutting these dessert bars is to spray your knife with cooking spray before making slices. I also suggest making small marks in the edges of the bars where you’re going to cut to ensure you’ve got even pieces before cutting through.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Dairy Free Lemon Bars
- Mixing bowls
- 8 x 8 baking dish
- parchment paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 8 tbsp plant based butter, room temperature, semi-melted
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- pinch salt
Lemon Filling Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (zest + juiced)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Use a pastry blender to fold together coconut flour, butter, and powdered sugar with a hand mixer for 4-5 minutes or until it’s a well mixed crumbly texture. The butter should be room temperature / semi melted in order to absorb the flour.
- Using your hands, press the mixture into a 8x8 pan lined with parchment. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- While the crust bakes, grab a mixing bowl and beat the eggs. Add in lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar. Mix well.
- Pour wet mixture over baked crust. Return to oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until lemon mixture has completely set.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes, then sift powdered sugar over top.
- Cut into 9 equal sized bars and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find DAIRY FREE LEMON BARS calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!