This healthy Pesto Chicken Salad tastes super fresh, bright, and it's perfect to enjoy for lunch sitting outside in the sunshine or throw in a wrap for on-the-go! It's incredibly delicious and such a fun way to switch up your mid-day meal.
Table of Contents
About this Chicken Salad
I didn't like chicken salad until I tried this pesto chicken salad... Seriously! It was never my go-to lunch or something I craved because it just seemed so BLAH! But I need to tell you—this Pesto Chicken Salad Wrap has won me over!
Adding pesto to this classic lunch staple brings a whole new level of flavor. It tastes super fresh, light, and it's perfect for your weekly meal prep or taking it for your lunchtime picnic.
Just as I customized my chicken salad, you can customize yours. It's such a versatile recipe that you can make over and over again without getting bored. Add more veggies, nuts, different kind of dried fruit and so much more!
And if you want some direction with other flavors, also try this Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad, Copycat Panera Napa Chicken Salad, Dill Cucumber Chicken Salad, or these Rainbow Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps, too!
- Greek Yogurt: So fresh and so creamy! Classic chicken salad recipes use mayonnaise as a base, but Greek yogurt is a lighter, healthier option. It also a slightly tarter taste.
- Knorr’s Pesto Seasoning: This dry seasoning is SUCH a game changer! It mixes right in with our Greek yogurt and mayo base and creates an incredibly authentic pesto flavor without the oil.
- Hot Sauce: Do you put hot sauce on everything, too? Adds such a subtle but appreciated kick! Sure, you can omit it but it really elevates the mixture.
- Cooked Chicken: Bake/grill and shred some up yourself, or use a rotisserie chicken to save time. Here's my favorite way to prepare chicken!
- Red Onion, apples, celery: Add crunchy texture and freshness!
- Optional Add-Ins: I love adding pickles, grapes, sliced avocado, dried cranberries and hot sauce. Toss in your favorites!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Prep ingredients: I like to dice chicken breasts really finely and cook them with some salt and pepper on the stove. You can also use a grilled chicken breast, Perdue Cooked Chicken Strips, or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. The idea is to use whatever is convenient to YOU. Dice apples, onion, and celery finely.
2. In a mixing bowl, add Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Mix together. Pour in pesto seasoning and mix until completely dissolved.
3. Add chicken and produce to the bowl with the creamy dressing.
4. Stir until everything is well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with a fork, on bread, with crackers or my favorite, on a wrap!
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days and mix before enjoying. If enjoying as a sandwich or wrap, store separately from the bread.
I suggest you check out my Ninja Foodi Grilled Chicken blog post for some tips on preparing the best grilled chicken. You can also use rotisserie, canned, or pre-shredded chicken for convenience. I love the pre-shredded chicken from Costco or Target.
Yes! I like the bit of richness it adds, but you can just add more Greek yogurt in its place with little adjustment in flavor. Alternatively, you could also omit the Greek yogurt in place for more mayonnaise, too.
This chicken salad can be enjoyed in a variety of different ways. I love it on a wrap with avocado, spinach, and a little extra hot sauce. You can also enjoy on bread (I suggest toasted, sourdough!), with crackers, on a bed of lettuce, or just with a fork!
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Pesto Chicken Salad
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1½ cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ packet Knorr's Pesto Seasoning Mix
- ½ cup diced apple
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 stalk celery
- hot sauce, just a splash
- lemon juice, just a splash
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Mix together. Pour in pesto seasoning and mix until completely dissolved.
- If not already done, shred your chicken, then add to bowl with the dressing.
- Chop celery, red onion, slivered almonds, and apple into fine pieces. Add to bowl with the dressing and stir until everything is completely coated.
- Stir in a pinch of salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with a fork, on bread, with crackers, over lettuce or my favorite, on a wrap!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find PESTO CHICKEN SALAD calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!