A chocolatey, cold, creamy cross between a milkshake and soft serve. This Homemade Wendy’s Frosty is hard not to love especially when it’s made with lighter ingredients and packed with protein.
Table of Contents
Better than Wendy's Frosty
I am Team Frosty over McFlurry any day. Especially when I can make my Frosty at home, with healthier ingredients. This recipe mimics both the flavors and texture of a real Wendy’s Frosty, and the only thing we’re missing is the fries to dip in!
This Homemade Wendy’s Frosty is so simple and comes together in just 5 minutes (you’d probably spend more time waiting for it in the drive thru line!).
Banana and ice get blended up with milk, cocoa, protein powder, and the secret ingredient, cool whip, for the most perfect fluffiness and creaminess. You’re going to want to have this Frosty as an afternoon or post workout snack, for dessert, or served on your next burger night with homemade french fries.
And if you're looking for more sippable treats, also try this Triple Berry Cheesecake Milkshake, this Key Lime Pie Milkshake, this Mocha Madness Smoothie, this Chocolate Cherry Smoothie, or this Raspberry Chocolate Smoothie, too!
- Ice Cubes - The base of our smoothie is ice. But I promise, with all of the additional creamy and chocolatey ingredients mixed in, it won’t taste like a slushie.
- Banana - Along with the ice, banana serves as the base of our frosty. It also contributes to some sweetness, so it’s best to use a ripe one.
- Cocoa Powder - To create a rich chocolate flavor.
- Fat Free Cool Whip - Gives the milkshake a light and fluffy texture, and adds creaminess, too. If you’re looking to add even more protein to this Healthy Wendy’s Frosty, you could instead use greek yogurt, but just note you’ll have a thicker Frosty if you make this swap.
- CleanSimpleEats Brownie Batter Protein (code APOP saves you $$) - Not only does this add a whole 20 grams of protein, but it also tastes amazing and helps mimic that classic Wendy’s Frosty flavor. Another chocolate flavored protein powder or collagen will also work.
- Xanthan Gum - This is totally optional, but it helps thicken the shake and get that smooth Frosty texture. I make it plenty of times without it and it's fine.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Add all of the ingredients together into a blender. Blend on high for 40-60 seconds or until ice and banana are thoroughly combined. Blend longer if any chunks remain. The texture is what makes this Homemade Wendy’s Frosty so great.
2. Serve immediately. Garnish with PBfit, crumbled G2G bar (code: APOP for a discount), chocolate chips, whipped cream, etc.
Can I make a homemade Vanilla Frosty?
Definitely! Swap the cocoa powder for a teaspoon of vanilla extract and use vanilla protein powder and you’re all set!
You can freeze this Homemade Wendy’s Frosty recipe after it’s made. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months and when you’re ready to enjoy, let sit out on the counter for ~30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
This frost is a great canvas fro all of your favorite toppings. Add whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, crumbled protein bar, granola or cereal. Consider drizzling on chocolate or caramel sauce. Or add a spoonful of peanut butter or granola butter. Want to make it really nostalgic? Bake up some freezer french fries to dip in for a real drive thru experience.
The Xanthan Gum is completely optional, but does create a fluffier Frosty consistency. Don't go over board with how much you add, however. You'll end up with a strange texture and upset stomach.
more of our favorite Smoothie Recipes...
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Homemade Wendy's Frosty (Healthy and High Protein)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 8 ice cubes
- 1 banana, frozen
- ¾ cup Fairlife 2% Chocolate Milk, alt: vanilla/skim milk
- ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup Cool Whip, fat free
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, I used Clean Simple Eats Brownie Batter
- splash vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum, optional
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high for 40-60 seconds or until ice and banana are thoroughly combined. Blend longer if any chunks remain. The texture is what makes this Homemade Wendy’s Frosty so great.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with PBfit, crumbled G2G bar (code: APOP for a discount), chocolate chips, whipped cream, etc.
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find HOMEMADE WENDY'S FROSTY calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!