Take those beloved girl scout cookies and turn them into a brownie. These Thin Mint Brownies are chocolatey, rich, and so decadent. They've got the perfect amount of mint and a thick cream cheese glaze you're going to LOVE.
Table of Contents
About these Brownies
It's almost St. Patrick's Day, and you're going to be THE TALK of wherever you're celebrating (the office, your friend's house, or even your own kitchen) when you bring Thin Mint Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting to celebrate. I honestly didn't realize that mint was associated to St. Patrick's day - maybe it's just the color. Regardless, these brownies are a reason to celebrate!
They're minty, they're fudgey, they're crackly, they're creamy...they've got it allllll going on. And who doesn't love a mint + chocolate combo! This Mint Chocolate Smoothie takes advantage of those flavors, too if you're looking for something on the healthier side.
I do want to place a warning label on these brownies: DO NOT add more mint extract than what is called for. You'll end up in tears eating your own brownies (trust me I did it and the flavor was insane — not in a good way).
- Butter: The provides richness and a gooey texture.
- Peppermint or Mint Extract: Trust me. You only want to use a SMALL amount of this ingredient because it goes a long way, but it is AMAZING paired with the chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder: To give our brownies a their chocolatey flavor. Hershey's is my favorite. Use Special Dark for an even richer chocolate taste.
- All-Purpose Flour: Critical to the structure of your brownie. I've not tried any substitutes.
- Milk Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips in our chocolate brownies. A must. And in my opinion, the more the better.
- Cream Cheese: This will be the base of our frosting. Rich and cream.
- Powdered Sugar: Makes the frosting sweet and a smooth texture as compared to the granular result you’d get with regular sugar.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat together the butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. Then, add in eggs. Beat again until thoroughly combined (about 3-5 minutes). Then add vanilla extract and mint/peppermint extract.
2. Add in all the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips) and fold together.
3. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips. The batter will be thick, but that’s what we want!
4. Spray an 8x8 pan and/or line with parchment paper and pour batter into greased pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out completely clean.
5. While our brownies bake, let's make our frosting. With a high speed mixer, beat together butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lime juice until thoroughly combined.
6. Let brownies cool completely minutes before frosting. Add chocolate shavings/chocolate drizzle if desired and enjoy!
Store the brownies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
To freeze these brownies, let them cool completely before slicing into individual squares and then wrapping each square in plastic wrap for up to 3 months for best quality. Let come to room temperature on the counter before unwrapping and enjoying!
I give a small range in the bake time for these Thin Mint Brownies Brownies depending on how you like yours. If you’re looking for a cake-like brownie, take them out when the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. If you want a fudgier brownie, take them out around the minimum bake time. The toothpick trick may still show some brownie batter on the toothpick if you’re looking for fudgier brownies, but that’s okay because they’ll set once you take them out of the oven and let them cool a bit.
A light metal pan is best. Glass or ceramic pans won't cook your brownies as evenly so you'll end up with burnt edges and a very underdone center.
If you want elegant even-edged brownies, it is important to let them cool COMPLETELY before attempting to slice. Grab a sharp chef's knife, a dish rag, and a glass of hot water. Dip your knife into the water before making a cut into your brownies. Then wipe the knife with your rag, dip into the water again, and make the next cut. This ensures the fudgy goodness doesn't get stuck to you knife.
If you're like me you like your brownies warm! Letting them cool before slicing takes away some of the indulgence so you've got a couple of options. Either reheat the sliced brownie in the microwave for 15-30 seconds OR just use a spoon to scoop some brownies straight out of the pan onto a scoop of vanilla ice cream and forget what it looks like:)
These brownies taste incredible with a side of mint chocolate chip ice cream, a cold glass of milk or warm cup of coffee or tea, or just as a snack after lunch 🙂
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Thin Mint Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- high speed handheld mixer
- 8x8 pyrex dish
- Rubber Spatula
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
For the brownies
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup cacao baking powder
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp mint or peppermint extract
For the frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ stick butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar until thoroughly combined. Then, add in butter. Beat again until thoroughly combined (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add vanilla extract and mint/peppermint extract.
- Add in all the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips) and fold together.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips. The batter will be thick, but that’s what we want!
- Spray an 8×8 pan and/or line with parchment paper and pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out completely clean.
For the frosting
- With a high speed mixer, beat together butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lime juice until thoroughly combined.
- Spread onto COOLED brownies. Top with chocolate shavings and chocolate drizzle and enjoy!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Mint Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!