A little citrus with a little heat, this Spicy Orange Margarita is an explosion of flavor you're going to love. No margarita mix required and no bartending skills required. Just a few ingredients to shake up and you've got yourself an amazing cocktail.
About this Cocktail
Oh my goodness, if there was a favorite cocktail of mine...it's a spicy margarita! This Spicy Orange Margarita will BLOW YOUR MIND. I swear. It's that good. Be aware, it's a strong one. But I will share ways you can tone it down without losing the great flavor, too.
It's citrusy and at the same time it's spicy. It's perfectly refreshing and you're going to love it. Whether it's taco night, girls night, a dinner party or hang out by the pool, this cocktail is the perfect addition.
Keep in mind that this recipe makes 4 margaritas. If you more or less, scale accordingly. If you're just wanting one, you could even the whole recipe and store in a pitcher in the fridge. When you are craving one, prepare your glass and enjoy. You've got 4 for the whole week!
And if you're wanting to try other margarita recipes, also try this Skinny Spicy Margarita, this Banana Margarita, or this Italian Margarita, too!
- Jalapeño-infused Tequila: Bring on the spice! I infuse my tequila with jalapeños for at least 2 days and up to a week prior to making this cocktail and store in the freezer. The longer that the jalapeños are in the tequila, the spicier your drink is going to be. You can also buy an already infused tequila. Trust me, it makes it so delicious! If you’re not here for the spice, just use regular tequila. Note: after infusing for awhile, the tequila may have a tint of green - that's okay!
- Triple Sec: Distilled with orange peels, this is the perfect addition to this spicy marg. It gives the best bright, sweet and citrusy flavor!
- Orange Sparkling Water: I used AHA orange + grapefruit flavor. However, if you really want to tone down this drink, consider using a combination of orange juice and club soda instead.
- Oranges: One goes in your drink, the other for garnish.
- Jalapeños: To make this really spicy, slice up and throw in your tequila for 2 days to a week. Otherwise, save for garnish.
- Lime: Use this to help rim your glass with sea salt and then for garnish.
- Sea Salt: I use a truffle honey sea salt and let me tell you. It's INCREDIBLE.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make This Recipe
I'm no pro bartender, but college did teach me a thing or two. Follow these instructions to make your Spicy Orange Margaritas.
Step 1. If you plan to infuse your own tequila, chop one of your jalapeños and add it to the bottle for 2 - 7 days and store in the freezer. The longer you infuse it, the spicier it will be. Otherwise, you can use an already infused tequila. If you don't want too much spice, just use regular tequila.
Step 2. Pour the sea salt into a bowl big or plate enough to dip the glasses in. Dip each glass into a plate of honey, maple syrup, OR rim each class with a lime. Then, dip them in the salt.
Step 3. Wash and slice the oranges, limes, and jalapeños. Juice the oranges and limes into the cocktail shaker. Add most of the jalapeño slices in shaker and muddle. Save a few slices for garnishing if you wish.
Step 4. After muddling, add some ice to the cocktail shaker.
Step 5. Measure and pour tequila and triple sec in a cocktail shaker. Shake for 20-30 seconds until well combined.
Step 6. Divide the mixture between four glasses. Then top each glass with the sparkling water.
Step 7. Garnish with dried oranges, fresh jalapeño, or whatever your heart desires. Drink up!
Yes, you can. This cocktail can be stored for up to a week in the fridge. I love making it a pitcher cocktail! You will use some of the bubbles from the sparkling water, but it's still mighty delicious.
Instead of sparkling water, use a combination of orange juice and club soda: Use 6 oz of each instead of 12 oz sparkling water. You can also use more triple sec and less tequila, which'll make it slightly sweeter.
Absolutely! Simply throw all of the ingredients in a blender with 2-3 cups of ice and blend! I like to make orange juice ice cubes for this to keep it extra flavorful. Regular ice may significantly water down your drink.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment further down. Thanks for visiting!
Spicy Orange Margarita
- 4 glasses
- Cocktail shaker
- Cocktail measuring cup
- Cocktail stirrer
- Small bowl
- Cutting Board
- 12 oz orange sparkling water
- 8 oz jalapeño tequila, can use regular
- 6 oz triple sec, or other orange liqueur
- 2 large oranges, juiced
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 limes, juiced
- sea salt
- honey or maple syrup
- If you plan to infuse your tequila, chop one of your jalapeños and add it to the bottle for 2 – 7 days and store in the freezer. The longer you infuse it, the spicier it will be. You can also use an already infused tequila. If you don’t want too much spice, just use regular tequila.
- Pour the sea salt into a bowl big or plate enough to dip the glasses in. Dip each glass into a plate of honey, maple syrup, OR rim each class with a lime. Then, dip them in the salt.
- Wash and slice the oranges, limes, and jalapeños. Juice the oranges and limes into the cocktail shaker. Add most of the jalapeño slices in shaker and muddle. Save a few slices for garnishing if you wish.
- Step 4. After muddling, add some ice to the cocktail shaker.
- Measure and pour tequila and triple sec in a cocktail shaker. Shake for 20-30 seconds until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between four glasses. Then top each glass with the sparkling water.
- Garnish with dried oranges, fresh jalapeño, or whatever your heart desires. Drink up!
Looking for this in MyFitnessPal?
If you're using MyFitnessPal, search 'A Paige Of Positivity' and find Spicy Orange and Jalapeño Margarita calories and nutrition facts. Disclaimer: for most accurate macronutrients and caloric breakdown, it is recommended that you input each ingredient into your MyFitnessPal food diary.
NOTE: this is counting the alcohol as strictly carbs - remember, if you are counting your macros & alcohol, this is a good reference: Macrostax | How To Calculate Alcohol for Macro Counting
TO COUNT YOUR ALCOHOL AS A CARBOHYDRATE: Use the total number of calories in a drink divided by 4 (Example: 5 ounces of Red Zinfandel = 132 calories 132 calories/4 = 33g Carbs. TO COUNT YOUR ALCOHOL AS A FAT: Use the total number of calories in a drink divided by 9 (Example: 5 ounces of Red Zinfandel = 132 calories 132 calories/9 = 15g Fat) TO COUNT YOUR ALCOHOL AS BOTH A CARBOHYDRATE AND A FAT: Use the a portion of the total number of calories in a drink divided by 4 Use the remainder of the total number of calories in a drink divided by 9. Example: 5 ounces of Red Zinfandel = 132 calories 66 calories/4 = 16.5g Carbs 66 calories/9 = 7g Fat
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. It’s my passion to create dishes that can be shared with others. Tell me something you loved or just say hi!
Made these for my house drink night and they were a HUGE hit!
Courtney Paige says
Love to hear that - thanks, Mel!
Sydney Van Acker says
11/10 no questions asked. perfect mix of spicy and citrus. loved it!!!!
Courtney Paige says
one thing about me, I can make a stiff drink. so good!
This is such a delightful drink! 🍹
This was a fan favorite at drink night! It’s was sooo good
Meghan Jane says
I've always loved Margaritas (bring on the tequila!!!), but these are just another level! The spice is just right, and I love that you can adjust it to your liking. Keep it up APOP!
Love this one! Would highly recommend!
Emily Morgan says
RUN to the store to grab these ingredients. it's fresh, simple, and so flavorful. The jalapeno tequila really elevates it to the next level.
Courtney has done it again!
Molly Everly says
My favorite weekend cocktail…SO delicious, 10/10 recommend!!!
A spicy margarita is the way to my heart. So when Courtney made one - I knew I would LOVE it. A little spicy & the orange tart compliments so well. Now I just have to try to wait until 5 to have one!!
Definitely recommend & will be making again!!